Can not break the flywheel nut loose! Gsx1100

gorbys

Starter clutch is gone or at least there's something wrong and I need to investigate but I can't get the rotor/flywheel nut loose for the life of me. I have the transmission in top gear, rear brake engaged and still the engine turns when I apply force to the breaker bar. I tried to make a tool to hold the flywheel but damn near lifted the entire bike off the ground instead of breaking it loose. I've tried an impact gun but that didn't help either. Any other tips? Might try to borrow a bigger impact... 

On 8/9/2023 at 9:18 AM, GSX1100dreamn said:

There are two holes for a special tool to hold the rotor, I made a tool to fit.

IMG_3757.thumb.JPG.9edd73f1d69ff4bcb6297e8294348258.JPG

And bought a rotor puller,

IMG_3744.thumb.JPG.73762c7b2e1414b85799413928285d21.JPG

Hope this helps.

Cheers Andrew.

GSX is different than a GS, isn't it?

With a GS you just screw a bolt in as tight as you can get it in, and give it a massive wack with a big hammer

on some gs motors you can remove the flywheel by using the swingarm spindle, you unfasten the bolt into the end of the crank, screw the spindle in to the flywheel till it touches the end of the crank, tighten it as much as you can, then belt it on the end with a hammer and the flywheel will pop off.

no, i didnt believe that too till i did it!

not on the gsx motor though, sadly.

Edited by johnr
  • Like 1