oil drain pipe removal

Hi all, sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but .. How on earth do you remove the oil drain pipes from the upper crankcase without destroying them ? They came out of the head fairly easily but can't budge them in either the bike or the spare cases and would really like not to have to spend 70 quid each for new ones .. Thanks in advance, might be a newby on here but not to a workshop  :)

3 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

Put a big screwdriver down the tube, and start levering it carefully in all directions. Clean the holes in the case out carefully (stuff some rag in first) use only genuine Suzuki o rings, put a dab of grease on them before fitting. And welcome. 

Thank you .. Is there any advantage th heating any of it ?

1 minute ago, HamamatsuHarry said:

Thank you .. Is there any advantage th heating any of it ?

Maybe in freezing the tubes with a spray can, but you're not going to get enough heat into the case to make any difference. Spraying some degreaser or penetrating oil might help too. And as previously said, replace the o-rings. They're known to leak if reused.

• Like 1

Right, Many thank you's for all the ideas and advice guys :)  Lots of cleaning, soaking and warming up eventualy got the pipes out of the spare crankcases, gsx600f ones i believe. The 650 Bandit ones were a pig. The whole one came out, eventually, by the usual methods .. The rotten one broke almost instantly. However this may have been a blessing as i was able to weld a piece of metal to what was left and use a slide hammer to pull it out .. Pretty much a whole days work but done now ..

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Just had this problem with an 1100 slabby engine, tubes seized solid. After several heating/cooling cycles and using mulple doses of home brewed penetrating fluid (1:1 acetone:cellulose thinners mix + a dash of power steering fluid) they finally started to move using  a large screwdriver as a lever and a block of wood with a mallet. Then grabbed with a set of large mole grips to get them swivelling side-to-side. Pulling up hard whilst wiggling the tube to and fro then gets the tube out, eventually. Whole exercise took about 3 hours. I think if a bull-in-a-china-shop approach was used the pipes would quickly end up as scrap and debris could end up where it shouldn't, i.e. in the crankcases. Patience and persistence is key.

• Like 3