1100M shim adjustment

I've checked the valve clearances on my 1100M and they are all in spec. If they hadn't been, how are the rockers moved out of the way to access the shim? Do they just push sideways against the spring? I gave a couple which didn't have cam lobe pressure on them a gentle nudge, but they didn't seem keen to move.

I think there is a 'proper' tool that has a forked end that bears on the retainer to compress the spring to allow the shim to be plucked out with a magnet. In the absence of that, i've measured all the gaps, noted down same, Remove the cams, take out and measure shims, work out the +/- required to correct, if lucky swap shims around, and then find correct ones missing and rebuilt the top end!

Oh well, wrong about the tool (must have been some other engine LOL) but i'm guessing the Suzuki manual assumes you have a full shim kit with every size available beside you, for a one out / one in procedure. Nice if you have - but if you haven't, you are sort of back to the cam out method!

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Oh well, wrong about the tool (must have been some other engine LOL) but i'm guessing the Suzuki manual assumes you have a full shim kit with every size available beside you, for a one out / one in procedure. Nice if you have - but if you haven't, you are sort of back to the cam out method!

Of course, 336 shims available for a valve job!

I've got a blunt straight edge screwdriver I use to push the arm out of the way - it's a doddle when you get use to it. As you said, you have to push the arm against the spring, use the cam journal base to gently push against if needed. 

It's really easy, although it takes a minute or two to measure the shim thicknesses. I've got a box of hot cams shims, but I still measure what I've taken out and what I'm putting in.

You can use Kawasaki shims too. When I did my zzr1100 the local bike shop would supply shims on an exchange basis, and the shim GSXR and zzr items were interchangable. Those for each make have slightly different sizing increments, which made getting the clearance spot on or nearly spot on easier. The zzr also uses the same rocker method - you simply slide the fork rocker to one side against the spring and lift up to secure. It's an ingenius design that negates all the hassle of cam removal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 9:03 AM, Gixer1460 said:

gs 8v motors (including the 550 and 650 kat) use a special tool to compress the bucket and allow the shim to be flicked out or pulled off with a magnet.