spray paint,

HI, just sprayed my wheels and now to do the lacquer instructions on can say to rub down your items with sandpaper before you but lacquer on so has any one sprayed the lacquer on with out sanding down and how did it come out after, cheers kev,

I used to do the paint and then let it dry for a week or so, then rub it down then clear coat. never got great results !!! but now I put the colour on then leave the last coat about 30 minuets or more then put the clear on the top.  now I get good results. I also use 2K in a can brilliant stuff. :tu  

Edited by TonyGee
  • Like 2
23 hours ago, kevgs said:

yes think are put on another coat, leave a wile then add the lacquer not sure how to do both sides at the same time as i painted the wheels one side at a time ,

If you make a stand that holds the wheel vertically on a spindle, similar to a manual wheel balance stand, you can paint a whole wheel by carefully rotating it to get access to all parts of the surface. I use a couple of old tressles for a wallpaper pasting table. You can then clearcoat the whole wheel on a barely dry final coat of colour.

Edited by Dezza
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kelvin said:

Any ideas on getting a good result with painted wheels.

I have a set of GS 1000ST gold wheels and would like to do a clear coat to improve the gloss factor

spraymax 2K clear coat is excellent stuff,  its just like what the pro's use but in a can, it has to be mixed in the can to activate it but you have to use it all within 2 days or so.  used it many times with fantastic results, and its tough. but its not cheap. about £25 a can :/ but in my mind worth it.  

9 minutes ago, DaveV65 said:

Do you need a special respirator when using the 2K clearcoat? Not saying line fed as in a car spraybooth but a particular level of vapour and particle filtration?

you do with any paint but more so with the 2K stuff, it is very strong !!!!  I use a normal face mask when using it, probably not good enough but better than nowt :$