Gsx 1100 ef fueling problems

I’m having some problems with my gsx 1100ef 86 model, so I go out for a ride and after maybe 5 miles it starts to splutter like it’s running out of fuel but there’s plenty , it even cuts out . I’ve flushed the tank and fitted a new fuel tap and the float bowls have been cleaned but as yet I haven’t removed the carbs as the carb rubbers are original and I just know they’ll crack and fall apart but eventually they will need to come off , so my question is should I just give them a clean or is there something specific that would cause such an issue. I have been thinking also about a new set of coils as I have some dynatek 3ohm from an old project. Any help would be much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Coleman said:

Just took the fuel cap apart and cleaned it , as yet I haven’t had time to go for a ride. Some time ago I bought a new set of rs36 carbs but I’d like to solve this issue in case it’s something else, then I’ll change the carbs and rubbers .

Why the reluctance to fit the RS36's, if they're doing nowt give em a go that way you'll get the answer either way.

I haven’t fitted the new carbs as yet because I need new rubbers and filters , I’d like to solve the issue first , mostly for peace of mind and also I’d like to sell to old carbs as fully working plus I have a whole load of other parts to fit and I wanted to do everything at the same time during a full strip down over the next winter.

You can faff around all you like without taking the carbs off, but you'll never clean them properly until you do! Old rubbers usually soften up with some gentle heat and something the yanks call 'wintergreen,' whatever the hell that is - it seems to soften rubber? - if you can find it on our side of the pond!

17 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

You can faff around all you like without taking the carbs off, but you'll never clean them properly until you do! Old rubbers usually soften up with some gentle heat and something the yanks call 'wintergreen,' whatever the hell that is - it seems to soften rubber? - if you can find it on our side of the pond!

Winter green is a muscle strain rub.

My dad used to sware by it.

Definitely available in UK 

I use a heat gun set on low to warm the inlet rubbers to refit my efe carbs. The rubbers when cold are like concrete but still have no cracks and function perfectly. Not using jubilee clips helps here as it's easy to overtighten them and crack the rubbers. The OEM clips are impossible to overtighten.