Gsx1100f stick coils and CDI

FB33

I'm thinking about fitting stick coils to my Gsx1100f project.

I've been told that gsxr600k4 coils will work? What's the general concensus on these? Will they work? Are there others to concider ?

And while I'm on, CDI boxes, I'm thinking of getting a second hand one because of cost, but are there new non stock ones available that will work?

Any of the later GSXR stick coils will work. I think mine are from a GSXR750K4 or similar. The bike has a B12 engine with an 1100 slabside ignition and CDI, and they work perfectly. If you don't obtain the coil subloom from the donor bike then the connectors are available from Kojakscat (I can never remember the exact name) so you can make your own but they are quite expensive, something like 15-20 quid for 4.

• Like 2

I'm using thanks to OSS somthing I've NEVER done but I'm using gsxr k3 Denso 129700 4400 J0440 stick coils on my mk1 bandit 1200 engine and to be honnest it starts quicker and reacts better BUT that's going from the bike being run up in the air testing its running but debating todo the same to my B6 and sell the dyna coils as stick coils seem the best option 

Basically whatever you use / find, each individual coil should be no less than about 1.2 ohms and even this is pretty close to the edge for std 30 yr old ICU's which are used to working with 3.0 ohm circuit and 2x 1.2 ohm sticks = 2.4 ohm. The lower the ohms with a 'fixed' voltage, the higher Amps will flow - this is what stresses the ICU's power transistors, so a stick with 1.5 ohm resistance would be ideal. Other useful tip is - if possible - change the spark plugs from 'old style chunky tip' types to the 'thin tip' iridium / platinium type which tend to spark easier with these coils at lower voltages (sticks in series are only working with about 6.5 - 7v! each)

• Like 4