High Octane Tryout.

BikeJake

From my limited experience the issues with E10 is that it firstly attracts water vapour and causes condensation in tanks and hence corrosion that includes fuel pumps too ,secondly it seems to turn to a jelly type mush in float bowls if left any length of time and if left a longer-term it evaporates leaving nasty gummy deposits that block jets and passages in carbs,it also can affect fuel injectors as well,altering flow rates and spray patterns in vehicles that are used regularly there is generally no issues,it's the "hobby" vehicles that sit through the winter that get the problems in general it's crap 

• Like 1

If ya like alcohol Free Petrol, Buy a 5 gallon container. Fill with 4.5 gallons of petrol and add 2 litres (4 pints) of water. shake really well.  Leave for a half a day. the water will absorb the alcohol ( there will be a small separate layer,  the 2 titres of water plus the alcohol)  and leave ya with just clean petrol. If you buy the container with a tap it makes it easier to drain off. (y)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Madb said:

If ya like alcohol Free Petrol, Buy a 5 gallon container. Fill with 4.5 gallons of petrol and add 2 litres (4 pints) of water. shake really well.  Leave for a half a day. the water will absorb the alcohol ( there will be a small separate layer,  the 2 titres of water plus the alcohol)  and leave ya with just clean petrol. If you buy the container with a tap it makes it easier to drain off. (y)

I believe the problem with this method is that it may take some of the beneficial additives out of the fuel as well as the ethanol. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Madb said:

Can always add them back from a bottle, Maybe? Do you what additives are removed?

No I don't, it was just something I read a few years ago in one of the bike magazines when they were trying this method out. It may have just been a caveat that they used in case anything went wrong but it doesn't seem impossible to me. 

Practical sportsbikes have been doing some long term experiments with E10 fuel & the results were strange. It didn't react in the ways quite expected & the results seemed to vary partly depending on the time of year the fuel was purchased. It would imply that the refiners mess with the formulation more than we know. Overall the results so far were inconclusive.

Personally I've always stored bikes with Esso super & fuel preserver just to be safe even before E10 was a thing. I did have some big problems after using E10 in France in a gsxr1000 back in 2013. The fuel pump fell apart as it attacked all the plastic in there.  

Edited by coombehouse
Typo
  • Like 1