Upside down head cooler

Lachie04

Hello Chaps,

Debating a question in my mind 

So I have a head cooler mounted as such

image.thumb.png.71bdef1a6035d57e097bc68aaf972e0d.png

But to make room for headlight and brackets questioning if mounting it ∩dsᴉpǝ poʍu would work and give me more room.

I used to have it on the back but trying to keep the tail clean now  and not anywhere else which would work

I'm concerned it would drain back to the case each time  and then possibility of air blockage.

While the main cooler can be mount, fittings down, don't think you can do it with these. Closest I've seen to upside down is the one @Dezza is building which is rather flatish.

Any thoughts

• Like 1

I had the same worries, the bottom one is my head cooler, and when i took the pipes off there was no oil in the hose going up to the head!!, so i thought there would be no supply to the cams on start up..:o

so i took the plugs out and wound it over ,with the pipe to the rocker box disconnected at the head, to see how long before there was any oil..:tu

I pushed the tit and oil came out almost imediately and lots of it.. And that using the starter motor which turns at a much lower speed that when the engine starts..

So im not worried anymore,,:tu

dissconnect the pipe and try it..:D

K5oDixK.jpg

MXs3Xd2.jpg

• Like 3
44 minutes ago, Lachie04 said:

Thanks for the comments 

My concern was on the air locking side really  and if it were to happen from time to time while oil would still flow it would be ineffective  car guys have lots of comments about it

Any who Merry crimbo

You wont get airlocks. It's a positive pressure pump that will force air out, not like water pump which just gives flow.

• Like 1
On 12/22/2021 at 4:29 AM, Lachie04 said:

Hello Chaps,

Debating a question in my mind 

So I have a head cooler mounted as such

image.thumb.png.71bdef1a6035d57e097bc68aaf972e0d.png

But to make room for headlight and brackets questioning if mounting it ∩dsᴉpǝ poʍu would work and give me more room.

I used to have it on the back but trying to keep the tail clean now  and not anywhere else which would work

I'm concerned it would drain back to the case each time  and then possibility of air blockage.

While the main cooler can be mount, fittings down, don't think you can do it with these. Closest I've seen to upside down is the one @Dezza is building which is rather flatish.

Any thoughts

My head cooler is mounted horizontally in the seat unit, which has a big hole in the top. The idea is that the pocket of still air under the seat will rise up through the cooler due to air moving across the top of the seat unit. Mounting a cooler in this way at the front of the bike is thus not going to work very well.