Clutch Plate Question

Toddy64

Hi Chaps,

The Clutch on my old girl (GSXR1127K 89) has started to slip and i'm assuming that due to age it may be the Drive (friction/fibre) plates are on the way out, it still drive fine but slips at higher speed and revs, when overtaking a car on an A road for example

Having had a quick look at the prices was horrified to see the oe ones at £17 each x10, compared to an EBC set at half that price, and the APE Track King ones being circa £100 a set. So i guess the question is are the cheaper ones useless? Surely not? I wont be Racing or doing track days, and the bike has circa 35000 miles on but is 32 years old, and was stood for 10 years until about 3 years ago. As I obviously don't want to be doing the job again in a couple of years, any advice and or tips on what to look out for when doing the job are much appreciated, tia

download.png.4bf589766868ba86f70252892f27acb7.png

Edited by Toddy64
having a mare with pictures

Go for the OEM.

I put some of the EBC ones in my bike years back, i didn't even get to do 100 miles on the bike till I was at the side of the road with a bike that I could put in 1st gear and give it a hand full and the would not even move.

Put OEM Faber and steels in and they have been there ever since, cost about £200 then but we'll worth the money. I don't say get OEM stuff usually but clutch plates it's got to be OEM.

• Like 1

Even a good used set of OEM fibres and steels are better than new EBC one's - seriously! And probably about the same price! As said measure first as OEM fibres will take a beating before being un-servicable - we never threw a fibre away unless it was burnt up, cracked or missing pieces!

• Like 1