ET frame mods

Has anyone done a cut-n-stretch on an ET frame to take a 6" rim / 200 tyre ? 

Not real keen on running stuff too close or using skinny chains etc.

Ive seen Busa frame ground out to do it (looked nasty) and I remember Dodges Slabsider being done too.

Am I away with the fairys? Or is it feasible? 

To ether dish and plate the factory tube and add extra external side material? or to cut out the section and have a custom piece made and welded in? Or to cut and open up the whole frame? 

I may have a cheap frame coming and already have 6" wheels and tyres that I'd prefer to the 5.5" / 180 I have.

Well, do-able or dumb ? 

Not 100% sure which way to go yet but I already have a 6" B-King / Gen-2 Busa wheel, a heap of 200/50 and 190/55 part worn tyres and a 1999 1200 Bandit lump.   I do have a Gen-1 Busa and Bandit 12 Swingarms but I might go with a GSX1400 one. 

Nothing is set in stone, I'm collecting parts and doing some research. Hopefully a 750 frame is arriving this week then I'm good to go. 

• 2 weeks later...

Used a McIntosh swing arm set up for dual shocks, gen 1 busa wheel, a 530 chain with a 5/8" offset sprocket and a DG sprocket support.  It was EXPENSIVE and the clearances were very tight.  Much easier and less expensive to stick with the 5.5" wheel.

I will try and post pictures tomorrow.

WOW!!! Not quite what I had in mind but WOW all the same!!

I'm thinking cut the stock frame, press it out wide enough to take a GSX1400 swingarm, weld in dowl type spacers either side of the stock bottom rear mount. Re-bore swingarm pivot (add sleve if there's not enough material) to take a larger 1400 spindle.

Im sure its not that simple but it would keep a factory look.

200 or 190 tyre , 6" rim, chunky chain, good clearance, stock looking frame is the goal. 

• 2 months later...

B|It is going to be one of the nicest jigs

Just wondering... I have 200/55 6" rear and non modified EFE frame. Running 530 chain, ok it is quite close to frame but wont hit it. Everything is dead center.

Edited by homer
Forgot to talk something usefull
  • Like 1

I run  a 81 ET with a JMC arm  busa rear wheel  3/8 offsett engine sprocket, 520 chain,shenko 190 tyre. Rear wheel is central in the frame.As for chopping the frame it would be the last resort in my book.The bike is used for dragracing and has been used on the road with no adverse effects to the "skinny" chain.

On 11/20/2015 at 9:17 AM, KATANAMANGLER said:

Here's a blast from the past. This was Patrick's (Mr 711) Katana frame. Worth noting however that 1. this never made it to the road and 2. from memory he later removed  the inside wall of the tunnel of  so that it was just a deep notch rather than a tunnel.

chainline1.jpg

lower_section.jpg

tunnel_02.jpg

tunnel_04.jpg

tunnel_06.jpg

tunnel_03.jpg

tunnel_06.jpg

tunnel_11.jpg

tunnel_12.jpg

tunnel_13.jpg

That really is a blast from the past, OSS rules.........

• Like 1