Wiseco big bore kit

Mouse

Hi

I am currently rebuilding my 78 gs750 and upgrades in the engine department are defentley on the cards.

as well as a complete engine swap i am looking at ether  a 850 conversion using a set of gs850 barrels which i have or a  Wiseco  844 big bore kit.

If i go the gs850 route i am looking at buying a head and all the associated parts plus pistons plus re-bore etc etc and i have costed this to about £400 quid. plus remember these are used parts whereas a wiseco kit is about £550 brand new + re-bore cost (which i would need anyway).

Has anybody used Wiseco kits and is there anything else i should be aware of, reliability etc.

I am not looking for a balls out racer but would like a bit more power over the stock 750, i have been told the gs850 upgrade will not give me much more power over the 750 so am wondering if the 844 kit is a more viable option and why 844 is better than 850 ???

All thoughts and advice gratefully received

Mouse

problem is with a gsx1100 lump as i see it is that a engine will cost between 500 to 700 according to fleabay and bumtree, and there is no garantee as to how good it is, at least with my 750 i know how good (or bad) the bottom end is, this is why i was thinking about wiseco kits.

I suppose i could post in the wanted section to see if anyone has one for sale, would feel a bit safer than a random auction site

• Like 2

Well you have over 50 posts now (y)

Do not forget about the gs1000 still a good motor,  cheaper and easyer to get than a gsx1100 motor.

I got a cheep 1100cc big bore kit off the bay about 3-4 years ago standard compression but it gave the 1000 motor a good kick up the arse, and it was only £88 for positions,ring and head gasket (y) and I think it was about £120 for the rebore, yes maybe more than the wiseco kit but more grunt ;)

If you do go for the wiseco kit and with it being a high comp kit make sure your bottom end is in good nick, with the miles the bike has and the time it's been stud ;)

There's something infinitely cooler about not taking the easy route in a search for more power, I'd sooner see a tweaked GS lump anyday over just putting in a different engine.  One of the most legendary of the streetfighters had a 750/850 hybrid lump, seemed to work well enough.

• Like 1

I'd say stick with plan A, tune up the 750. And I speak as someone with a 1085 engined GS750!

If you get a 1000/1100 engine, it will be tired and need a full rebuild and you'll be looking at a fair old outlay, even just for rings, hone, gaskets and seals. 1000 lumps aren't cheap any more, nor easy to find. Anything with GS1000 on it is pricey, whereas 750 parts are more common and cheaper.

That said, my 7/11 walks all over my standard GS1000, which is like riding an oil tanker in comparison! Surprising difference in size and feel. xD

• Like 1

If you just want to get it on the road, you could put the 850 barrels on with the 750 head and cams etc, you won't get the most out of the 850 in some ways but it will be on the road, you can then look out for a 850 head or other root ;) but you're up and running.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, gs7_11 said:

I'd say stick with plan A, tune up the 750.

Could you be a bit more specific please :)

2 hours ago, wraith said:

If you just want to get it on the road, you could put the 850 barrels on with the 750 head and cams etc, you won't get the most out of the 850 in some ways but it will be on the road, you can then look out for a 850 head or other root ;) but you're up and running.

I do have another bike on the road at the moment so not in a mad rush,  but would like to make the most of the good weather (lockup floods and gets fecking cold :(

) , also now i have started to collect parts  and do some work on the 750 i don't want to lapse again, if it takes a month or so to sort the engine so be it, don't really have the funds for a new (to me) motor at the moment so need to do the best with what i have, hence the Wiseco idea (y).

I think if it was me and wanted to get the bike on the road, for the rest of summer. I'd be looking at just ever getting the 750 motor up and running or put the 850 barrels on then you can start riding the bike and see how the long sleep has done for the bike, don't know what other bike your riding but you will soon come to the idea of what you want to do to the gs once it's on the road ;)