GS1000 back on the road

wraith

Just finished my GS1000G and put it back on the road.

bigun2%20815_zpslit8lboo.jpg

As some of you will see it's not quite standard ;) NTV650 single sider which was on the old incarnation, NTV650 front wheel with new disc and a GSXR1000k2 6 pot, standard body work ish, GS850 tank (as it is really a GS850 when it came from Suzuki), GS1000g side panels, GS1000 tail piece, GSX550ef clocks, rassk rear sets. The engine has an 1100cc big bore, ported CV head, GS750 cams (as they let the motor rev quicker), GSXR1100G 34mm carbs. Braced frame. Etc, etc, etc.

• Like 6

That's a fair amount of work went in there , how did the single sider go ? Easy job or headache 

Depends on what you call a headache. I had to:

1. cut one side down and replace the bearing mounts by machining up some ally and welding it onto cut down part (or getting someone else to weld it for me...).

2. extend the other side by welding on an extra piece and replacing the bearing mounts in the same way.

3. having the knuckle (CV) joint from the NTV and the GS at the engine side matched up - I took it to a man who makes CV joints and shafts (can't remember where I found him!) and he did something with the dark arts to make it happen :-).

4. make a top shock mount on the GS frame (I did that     :-)   :-)     :-)     ).

So not that much...   LOL

• Like 1

Cheers all.
Just got the MOT with no problems and runs very well :)
The gearing is a bit out with the NTV shaft (but knew this from before.) In top gear it's doing 3500rpm at 70mph and yes with the 1100cc kit and ported head and 34mm gsxr carbs it still picks its feet up ;) Not as fast as the chain drive GS1000 I have on the take off but for a day to day ride the GSG is going to do the job very nicly :)

• 1 month later...