Replacing 1985 GSX-R750F Exhaust Cover

Hi

I recently purchased a 1985 GSX-R750F and the perforated polished steel cover over the exhaust is looking a bitty tatty. I found this German supplier of new covers called Metisse:

exhaust cover

I asked the company how one removes the remainder of the pop rivets inside the exhaust and their response was to "work on the exhaust upside down, so that the internal pins drop out".  Seriously - this was their reply! I still have the email as a record. After that I went into the garage and pinned together 2 thin sheets of aluminium to show that the way pop rivets work is by expanding the internal soft aluminium cylinder that surrounds the steel pin. This will never pass the original drilled hole! I emailed photos of my test piece back to Metisse but never got a reply!

So, has anyone else replaced this cover and if so do you have to live with the remains of the pins rattling round inside your silencer or can they be shacked out once the full system has been removed, or is there another way of removing them?

Thanks for any help.

Graham

PS. Just discovered this website by way of an article back in the May 2017 edition of CMM titled "Girl Power".

Edited by gmseed
typo

Hi, and thanks to those that replied making me feel welcome!

I've attached a recent photo of my GSXR-750F, taken before I had a go at the exhaust cover. I've since carefully bent it out at the rear bottom, where it must have scraped against a wall. I then slowly polished out the deep scratches and now it looks a lot better. However, one of my next jobs is to remove the exhaust system and respray it to keep the rust at bay. Hence my question about also replacing the cover at the same time.

I've only had the bike about 1 month. From the paperwork it was originally produced for the domestic Japanese market since its frame number starts with GR71F. Although 33 years old it has only done approximately 14,000 miles and I do think this is genuine as overall the bike is in very good condition.

A great bike to ride as the power to weight ratio is so good. A great looking bike too and I can see why people fall in love with these machines!

Thanks again.

Graham

a6.JPG

• Like 5

All i can think with the rivets, is when you remove the zorst and drilled the rivets giving it a good shake and see if they will drop out, as the standard zorst was fully welded up in the factory before the cover was put on and was not designed to be removed, but there is always someone in OSS land who has sorted it at some point ;)

Nice looking slaby you have there (y)

Welcome, neat looking bike.

I replaced some years ago the exhaust cover to a kevlar/carbon piece I made.

As far as I remember the rivets just fell out from the 4 tubes and I had no rattling sounds.

I recommend using SS closed end rivets when fitting the new cover.