40mm slingshot carbs on GSX1100??

I've got a set of 40mm carbs from a 1991 GSXR1100 slingshot, I know they will fit my GSX1100ET, but are they too big?? The engine has a Wiseco 1170 kit, but is 40mm just too much? (Is there such a thing as too much:)) I can see people are running 36 and 38mm, plus American websites suggest 40mm for track bikes only. I'm thinking maybe the inlets and valves are just not big enough, so I'd be wasting my time.

any thoughts? 

I don't have a stock set of carbs, this is a complete project, with engine, running gear and frame all coming from different sources. So the world is my oyster for carbs, I just happen to have a set of 40mm, hence my question.

Were the 36s only fitted to GSXR750/1100? I've just had a quick look on Eblag and I can see sets of 38s, but no 36s

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information about alternatives, just got myself a set of 36mm Triumph Daytona 1200 carbs, exactly the same Mikuni BST36 as GSXR.

anybody got any thoughts on where to start with jetting? I'm running an 1168 big bore with Harris pipe and plan to run pod filters. Is it just a matter of getting it to run and seeing what happens. If somebody has done this mod and can give me a baseline to start from it would be really useful.