Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

Well today was build day but it didn't start until mid afternoon!

Got the head on and then spent forever dialing the cams in. The spacer under the barrels threw things out a bit and it took a bit of working out to get the cam sprockets right so the adjustment range worked ok.

Got the exhaust cam at 110.5 degrees which is spot on but the intake cam keeps falling 1-2 degrees out either way.

Left it for tonight and I'll re-check the degree wheel and exhaust cam tomorrow then have another go at the intake cam.

Cams dialed in finally, the degree wheel had moved a touch so reset it and double checked it all once I'd finished.

Intake lobe centre is 108.25

Exhaust lobe centre is 110.5

Got a few other bits bolted on but hit a problem with the plenum, the o-ring seals are made of cord and have shrunk slightly so there's now a gap. Measured up and ordered some new ones, hopefully they'll fit.

Can get the headers back on though and finish them off.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tombola said:

Nice work mate, did you have a job fitting your headers after you welded them up? 

They were pretty much spot on but I was careful on the order I welded it in and didn't trim the last bits until the rest was welded.

I also had them bolted to a spare head during welding.

Plus they're reasonably easy to tweak a touch if needed.

• Like 1

Didn't purge inside no, should have done I suppose but I cleaned up any bits on the inside as I went along.

I welded the outer 2 fully first then set up and fully welded the inner 2 but I left one joint on each just above the collector. I trimmed these to fit last then bolted it all to the head and welded the last joint.

Tacked it in a couple of places around the tube the alternated the welding leaving it to cool between welds so it didn't get too hot.

Well fitting tube doesn't seem to warp much but anything with gaps pulls in and long runs on collectors seem to warp too.

I'm no expert though!

Edited by Danm54
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All welded up and fitted, new filter and some fresh oil in too, spun it over to get some oil around and make sure I had oil pressure, all good.

Fitted the rad and filled with coolant, tank on then needed fuel.

Quick run out and for a few litres, primed the fuel lines the hit the go button, didn't go first time but only needed a sniff the second time and it fired right up.

Idled nicely, revved cleanly, steady .85 lambda and coolant temps only reached 70c after about 5 mins running.

Toyed with the idea of putting the seat on and going out tomorrow but think I'll put it in for a dyno day first. Play safe and all that.

• Like 5
  • 5 weeks later...

Things have been full on the last few weeks but managed the odd hour here and there, pretty much ready for some dyno time but I did take it down the road to make sure clutch etc still worked.

Got this weird breathing noise after shut off thats concerning me slightly though.

I remember hearing it at the last dyno session and it may have made it before but I think its only been since the turbo was rebuilt.

Thoughts?

I'll try and upload a vid.

Edited by Danm54