Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

Had the turbo report last week and its fucked, needs a new turbine housing and compressor wheel plus shaft.

They can't get parts for this any more so they recommended a gt30 as a replacement. £1600

Not going to happen.

Can find parts for t3/4 turbos and they're not that difficult to rebuild. There are companies that offer a balancing service so the turbo is on its way back to me and hopefully I can source the parts needed and rebuild it.

Need to check my oil supply on the standard gsxr first to make sure its ok but I need to find out exactly what pressure and flow rate it needs.

• Like 1

Got a little box of parts, weren't that difficult to get hold of. If I can use a vernier they should fit.

20160518_202346_zpswqhn9ymb.jpg

Turbine housing should be here tomorrow. Don't think it'll fit the up pipe flange but it should only be a quick swap over.

• Like 1

Turbine housing arrived today, flanges are the same! Should fit without too much altering, only casting tolerances to worry about.

Need to take 5 mins tomorrow to call Dave and ask about the oil feed.

Edited by Danm54

Yea, will be giving universal turbos a call on monday, get them to rebuild it to suit the bike, possibly a compressor upgrade.

Bit like I asked Owens to do but these actually rebuild it rather than saying the bits aren't available.

Also my restrictor is too small, will be drilling that out a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its in, had to mill a bit of excess off the bottom of the turbine housing so it cleared the alternator but other than that it went straight in.

The flange isn't threaded so it needed longer bolts and nuts but the gaskets I bought ages ago fit this housing so its worked out nicely.

Also drilled the oil restrictir out to 1.25mm

Finished the loom up, its a little messy but it works. If I've ever got too many hours to kill I might make another but do it a little differently.

Primed the turbo with oil and cranked it over a few times to make sure I had oil getting to and returning from the turbo.

Started on the button and idled lovely, just ran it for a few mins to warm it up and get some oil through the turbo.

Rev counter on the clocks doesn't work so I need to look a little deeper into that.

Clip ons are drawn up and were on the mill earlier, once they're done it'll be a test fit then anodise those and the yokes. Or MOT then anodise, depends how it falls and if there's an MOt slot available.

Exciting times but I'm trying not to rush things and make a mistake.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheers Fula, its came out really nice, better than I could've expected. Gone for a clear anodise, decided black would hide it too much.

Bit the bullet and ordered some Frando radial master cylinders from Venhill, should finish the bars off nicely.

So the anodising was picked up a day late so they'll be back tomorrow.

Everything is ready for the front end to go in and the MOT is booked for Saturday morning.  It's not my usual place so I hope they like modified bikes....

Now I'm not one for too much negative thinking but if the anodising doesn't come back for any reason the DR is only an hour or so from being finished so my MOT won't be wasted.

• Like 1

Will be totally worth it in the end, these hold ups and frustrations will be forgotten. 

Doesn't help that my easy Friday has turned into no lunch, cold coffee and late finish kind of Friday.

Posting this with a melted kit kat and another cold coffee :P

Edited by Danm54
  • Like 2

Hi Dan ,you suspension looks just like myn, now I've been stuck for two weeks on bench as you know Spring issues I have k7 shock with high speed damper adjustment and standard 565lb Spring. I've gone down to 300lbs and still no compression on Spring when you sit on it, I have ordered more springs from god sport there ace free postage and really good quality .(being British made lad) I've got some help with the ratio and linkage set up , but it's time I don't have to set it all up. 

Anyways I digress which shock do you have on yours chief, interested for sure does yours compress nicely ? Cheers fuller.

• Like 1

Think it compresses fine, not really ridden it. I'll see if I can get some weight on it tomorrow and give it a try out.

Want to say its a K4 shock but I'll grab some details off it and double check.

Also got an extended swinger so have a little more leaverage than you.

• Like 2

@Fula28 Think its a k5 shock, the k series seem to use the same looking shock but have different bolt centres and spring rates.

Bolt hole centres are 325mm which apparently has a 8.1kg/mm (12.75" 450lb/in) spring rate.

Dropped the RF6 front end in to get the rear on the ground and the shock is a little soft, got 75mm static sag and 25mm when I get on the bike.

That might change a little when the right front end is in but I'd imagine I'm going to have to wind the spring adjusters down, they're about half way currently.

Just looked back at your thread and compared your latest setup with mine, doesn't look all that different, if anything mine is pulling slightly more vertical on the linkage but its hardly anything.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks Dan, appreciate that info, think myn. Just had way too much damping even fully wound off, it's got the H speed adjuster too that I just don't need kinda bough wrong shocker To be honest,  tryed to fit 750 k9 shock today and the nitrogen chamber is fouling my swingarm. 

Will go softer Spring route at mo that's my quick fix. 

• Like 1

Sorry for the lack of updates, busy times and a broken phone mean forums have to wait until I have time in the evening.

Anodising came back Wednesday anyway, pulled a late one in the shed Wednesday night and got it all back together.

MOT is booked for tomorrow so a quick shakedown tonight was in order. Had done a couple of miles back and forth when everything died about 1.5 miles from home. Pushed it to a gateway and set about calling the girlfriend, using an old phone though so have no numbers stored! Managed to get hold of a mate from an old text so while she drove out I did what I could with a 4mm allen key and a stick.

Seats off and tail section off and a blown fuse was to blame, had me shitting it for a while though!

Turns out the new ECU is wired through the same fuse that feeds the kill switch, start button and starter relay and unlike like the old one it pulls all its power through that. 15a isn't enough...

The clutch was dragging a bit so bled that when I finally got home.

New master cylinders are a dream, bled straight up and instantly got a good firm brake lever.

Not really gave it a handful as my rev counter is all over the place but the first time it came on boost it caught me out and nearly had me off the back, this bike is going to be so much fun!

• Like 2