Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

8 hours ago, wombat258 said:

I run 9:1 on 11psi, with 98RON fuel. Target AFR is 11.9 at full boost. Higher boost requires lower AFR. Timing should not be over 28 degrees. 

Generally agree with that apart from 'higher boost requires lower AFR' It doesn't and in fact it can make the situation worse. You are pumping fuel in hoping it will cool the cylinder and prevent detonation but most will be ejected and end up burning in the turbo which in extreme cases take all the tips / edges off the turbine wheel. The only safe way to run big boost is either lower compression or better fuel - end of! My bike got mapped to 1 bar using regular 98 unleaded but to go higher we used 120 octane leaded race fuel - ign. timing was unchanged, CR stayed 9.5:1, AFR remained stable and fueling adjusted against boost via MAP sensor but no detonation. It hurts paying for that fuel, but power costs and how much can you afford?

Perfect, I'll give the valves a clean up and a check over but they are seating right.

The wastegate has been like that since it came back from John, I've never touched it assuming that it was set correctly.

Didn't pay attention to boost pressure on the dyno day either, the boost gauge on the bike always resets itself at about 0.6 bar so you never see the peak boost pressure, just thought it was fucked and needed replacing.

What sort of afr range so I be aiming for then, is 12.1 ok for higher throttle openings and rpm?

Thanks

I respect your opinion but it is well documented that lower AFR reduces octane demand of turbocharged engines. It does not overheat the turbine. I have raced at 11.9 AFR with no det or overheating and the engine  and turbo look great. My race car has serious aero and fully loads the engine on race tracks for extended times. But hey, if you believe in your theory stick with it. If you want to go serious boost though, or have an inefficient turbo with no intercooler, you will have to use high octane race fuel. I am happy at 270hp so no need for high boost and the headaches that go with it.

1 hour ago, wombat258 said:

I respect your opinion but it is well documented that lower AFR reduces octane demand of turbocharged engines. It does not overheat the turbine. I have raced at 11.9 AFR with no det or overheating and the engine  and turbo look great. My race car has serious aero and fully loads the engine on race tracks for extended times. But hey, if you believe in your theory stick with it. If you want to go serious boost though, or have an inefficient turbo with no intercooler, you will have to use high octane race fuel. I am happy at 270hp so no need for high boost and the headaches that go with it.

Its not theory - its tested 369hp with some to go - it only stopped as the undersized injectors max'd out! You are, lower CR, lower boost, lower octane, lower lambda and lower power. If it suits your application then go with it - i'm not knocking it but if a cut needs stitches, a plaster ain't going to be sufficient!

Mine was built to make power, turbo flow is good for potential 450hp , 8 injectors (now with 75% more flow) and an intercooler. If increased AFR's are the cure, why use E85 or Methanol - both have considerably less power potential than petrol even when run rich - its because the octane rating / anti det. properties knock petrol out of the field and you can run as much boost as the engine can tolerate to make power.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Danm54 said:

Haha, didn't think it looked right myself which is why I stopped and asked.

Should they collect sooner? The normal draw through headers have a lot of pipework before they collect so not sure how much difference it actually makes.

The Early Bottom exit Mr Turbo headers "As Pic" were quite short compared to the later side exit version's....

EARLY MRT.JPG

Thats similar to what came off but I need to fit a rad in front so have to keep the 4 pipes flat to the frame.

When I started I was just going to pull the 2 inner pipes back but that left a long pipe straight down after it.

Maybe I need to alter the up pipe so it doesn't drop as low, could collect them higher then take it sideways earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finished the headers, spooned one of them when I cleaned too much inside and broke through, sorted it ok but it could look nicer.

20161112_184137_zps3mh3pbtx.jpg

Got a full sized rad in with plenty of wheel clearance so should keep it cooler now

20161113_153808_zpsaz1m4wv7.jpg

Made an adaptor up to get from the twin 38mm to the 51mm, wont go into the v-band but its good to hold it while its tacked. Got to move up yet so I've got some trimming to do

20161122_204551-1_zpscongpyw3.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

So progress is slow as I've just started my own company, going to be tight on cash for a bit but may get some full days on the bike whilst work comes through.

So this afternoon was cc time

20170106_205205_zpsxnjz0p7i.jpg

Need to dig out the calculations from last time then see where I stand on the comp ratio.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering the bleed valve for the wastegate was wound fully in, its a possibility.

Had a couple of tight intake valve clearances and the MAP sensor went down during tuning with John so the engine didn't get an easy time.

Biggest problem at the minute is waiting for people to pay their bills but considering I'm only 3 weeks in and done a maximum 4 day week its looking good.

• Like 2