Coils

I'd be tempted to use something like a Ford Monoblock 4 post coil - cheaper than Dyna's, dead reliable and perfect for wasted spark!

Stick COP's can be used with a Dyna / Dyna 2000 as long as you add a resistor to up the total resistance to 3.0 ohms per stick which is happy with dyna and OEM CDI's

YII'd be tempted to use something like a Ford Monoblock 4 post coil - cheaper than Dyna's, dead reliable and perfect for wasted spark!

Stick COP's can be used with a Dyna / Dyna 2000 as long as you add a resistor to up the total resistance to 3.0 ohms per stick which is happy with dyna and OEM

A good friend who bit of a whizz has always said stick coils better to have an ecu capable to drive them, but hey not my field of expertise so personally I do not know.

Edited by jonny1bump

Mine work good so far. With stock ecu and coils wired in series.

But of course I don't have no idea about dwell time and other figures... I just checked that they measured 1,8 ohm each, that gave me 3,2 ohm that shouldnt fry the ecu.

Good solution when space is an issue. I'd never run separate coils amd leads any more - unless I'm forced to.

Edited by Kristjan

Interesting thread this me likely as Dynas do seem to go pop easy! Even fresh ones but on the other hand my buddy chris has had some on his fighter for 15years no bother??? wtf  each madness. He's running 8mm Taylor's yellow of course lol. Suits yours too jonny....

Oh ive really cocked up on the quote bits there..

Reading an article on here, am sure it was said that leads and coils do not greatly affect the performance?

Is it just that they come in nice colours that people change them? if so why is mat black the colour of choice for everything else!

resting thread this me likely as Dynas do seem to go pop easy! Even fresh ones but on the other hand my buddy chris has had some on his fighter for 15years no bother??? wtf  each madness. He's running 8mm Taylor's yellow of course lol. Suits yours too jonny....

Oh yes yellow that would work ha ha.

Currently using magnecor leads they have being on for at least 10 years. I have feeling now they are tracking somewhere.  Ohm meter readings are good on both coil and leads. But thrown standard coils and leads on for now, which least 20 years old and she purring again. 

Standard coils and leads are as good new, but plug caps break down eventually and copper corrodes but coils never seem to break, and its solved my miss fire thats be driving me mad.

The point of dyna2.2 ohm is its like a pipe that your bloking it builds up then pop big huge fat spark. The mini coils meant to be as good even thou 3 ohm technology etc.

Stick coils thread is really interesting wonder how it compares. With them do you need the screw on caps that go on the spark plugs. 

Edited by jonny1bump

There are all sorts of coil options if you want to adapt car components to your bike.  Around here there are lots of Dodge Neons in the auto salvage yards; they have a 4 cylinder wasted spark ignition, nice tidy coil pack mounted on top of engine, just four screws and three wires.   In the past twenty-some years, non-distributor ignition systems have become common in cars which leaves us with a lot of affordable, high quality options for our bikes.  Last trip to the auto salvage, I noticed a four cylinder Suzuki car with a coil pack that might work.   

Ive had 2 sets of Dyna coils, admittedly both second hand, and both failed, one completely and one with a really annoying intermittent misfire that I could not find, The coils on my 1216 high comp bandit are the original ones, I know as I had the bike new, they are 18 years old and work perfectly..;)

Whats the attraction of car type stick coils??:|

On a normal ignition bike - nothing! On something with a bit of sophistication and aftermarket ECU and a cam trigger you can have sequential fueling and ignition sparking. The COP's do seem to be able to fire quite rich through to quite lean mixtures without fouling or burning plugs up.

With the COP diagram above - COPs in series as shown will give correct resistance but at half the voltage! I'd parallel wire the COP's and add a 5 or 6 ohm 10w resistor in parallel also = corrected resistance and full volts. That'll give 2.8- 3.2 ohm total load on the ignition per side (using 1.8ohm COP's for example)

Edited by Gixer1460
Corrected ohmage!

On a normal ignition bike - nothing! On something with a bit of sophistication and aftermarket ECU and a cam trigger you can have sequential fueling and ignition sparking. The COP's do seem to be able to fire quite rich through to quite lean mixtures without fouling or burning plugs up.

With the COP diagram above - COPs in series as shown will give correct resistance but at half the voltage! I'd parallel wire the COP's and add a 5 or 6 ohm 10w resistor in parallel also = corrected resistance and full volts. That'll give 2.8- 3.2 ohm total load on the ignition per side (using 1.8ohm COP's for example)

Bloody hell, my head is spinning now.

I really like the idea of stick coils, because it seems to clean up some of the standard wiring. Any deviation from stock as far as the loom is concerned is a good thing, imho.

Ive had 2 sets of Dyna coils, admittedly both second hand, and both failed, one completely and one with a really annoying intermittent misfire that I could not find, The coils on my 1216 high comp bandit are the original ones, I know as I had the bike new, they are 18 years old and work perfectly..;)

Whats the attraction of car type stick coils??:|

Well i was convinced I had fixed my miss fire as was convinced had  track fault to lead, as found little damage on said cylinder and swapping leads moved fault.

On way to Donington yep you guess, that annoying intermittent miss fire came back more convincingly today, Dyna coil after all and they not that old either.

Edited by jonny1bump