slabby Rear Shock

yyt

A few years back i got this Ohlins TR043 which was the closest to the original measurements -  290.5mm length/61mm stroke (TR043 is 290mmlength/56mm stroke).

The Ohlins TR043 is intended  for the Triumph Street Triple 675.

I was certain that it would be much better than the original as its OHLINS, the size is about the same and the weight of  the bike is about the same.

On my R 750-86 the Rebound Adjuster is on top side of  while on the Triumph is on bottom side.

I got all confused and got no idea how the shock should be :(

tr043 for r86.png

oohhh.. i got "Houston we got a problem" in my mind.

Well i couldn't find any higher spec. shock and it  should to be much better than the original.

The Discontinued Ohlins STX 46 Hypersport , NOW.. i see is 80 N/mm.

Is it possible to open the Spring Preload Adjuster to its max level to make it less stiff? (or add weights to the rear?)

Should i change the spring with the original? will that do the job?

Got to find a solution :|

You should by a Ohlins spring with spring rate between 80 N/mm and 90 n/mm, depending on your weight and riding style (road or race).

Here is the code for springs with different rate:

Ohlins spring code:    01093-24    (with rate 80 N/mm)

Ohlins spring code:    01093-26    (with rate 85 N/mm)

Ohlins spring code:    01093-29    (with rate 90 N/mm)

All these springs are easy to find on Eblag. 

The shock should be mounted as described in Ohlins manual:

https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/2011/04/MI_TR043_1_x.pdf

Edited by Sandman
  • Like 3

Fancy shocks are pointless if you have the wrong spring rate.  The correct spring and setting the preload to get the correct sag is the first thing you need to get correct.   Anything else is wasting your time. 

@Sandman is spot on with his spring rate suggestions.  For reference I run a 95n/mm spring on my race slabbie and weight 90kg kitted up.  If you're running on the road you want to be on the softer end of that scale, if you're a big lad you might want to go to the stiffer end.

Your Shock is Spec'd for a stiffer spring, but Ohlins do have wide range of adjustment. You'll probably find the best results running it on softer setting.

• Like 3

Thanks for knocking some sense to me.

It was like.. when i got the Ohlins.. it was "ohh my precious"

Wasn't easy getting it. Any way.. got the bit which end is down n up.

Now with the N/mm bit.. I weigh about 65Kg so for sure i need the 80N/mm spring, I always felt the rear holding better with someone at the back.

No way i will find this Ohlins spring 01093-24 here in Israel, and at Eblag its 100$ just shipping. (p.s. what is Eblag ? Excuse my Ignorance)

I was wondering whether i could use the original shock spring.

Ex. diameter  /  wire diameter  /   length     

original        80mm             11.6mm          175mm

Ohlins         81mm             12mm              140mm (167mm if moved to end setting)

I'll get it painted Yellow :)

Do you think it might work?

• 2 weeks later...

Any one know someone selling Ohlins spring code:    01093-24?

Now there is only bad looking used from the US.

I don't mind paying 75$ shipping but at least the spring should look good.

I rather have the 80N/mm than the 85, but I'll take what is available.

Ohlins.JPG

It sounds like the Triumph linkage and ratio is different to our Suzuki's, working on a smaller stroke (although wheel travel is much the same), much harder spring - this means the shock will work over a decreased stroke and with much stiffer damping rates.  Much better to buy a shock that has stroke/spring rate and damping rates already sorted for the bike. As DuperS says -  getting the suspension sorted is vital and the best investment you can make. The British made Nitron shocks, even the basic one, are brilliant units - shame they seem to be £80 or so more expensive than when I bought mine, not a bad price for the quality though.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Nickel said:

Is that the one you're talkin' about?

Same length as slabby original? 

Cheers 

_20170716_215659.JPG

No, that won't fit, you need the model with the canister at 90 degrees to the body. I guess it's an earlier version, mine came in a job lot of parts so not 100% on it's vintage.

That's why I'm asking.

Tried yesterday one of an earlier R1, there the canister is on 90°, but it's a little bit shorter.

It lowers the seathight about 50mm. So not good to use this one in a slabby.

But there are later on versions of the R6 shock, where the canister is also on 90°.

What length does your shock have? Is ist identical to the slabby shock?

No, mines a little longer than the slabbie item. You have to clearance the link and arm slightly to get a bit of sag with the increased ride height. If you don't do this the rear gets very squirrely under heavy braking.

I also have a 2007 R1 shock on another slabbie this is very similar in length to the R6 item, and feels similar statically, but I've not checked the spring rate or ridden the bike yet so can't comment on how it performs.

Edited by dupersunc

Some advice needed..

For my Ohlins TR043 with the 120 N/mm Spring i"m looking for Ohlins spring code:  01093-24  ( 150mm total length and rate 80 N/mm)

I want the 80 N/mm coz i'm about 65kg (depending on dinner).

I found Ohlins spring of 160 total length and rate 80 N/mm.

Will that work?

If I move up the Spring Preload Adjuster by 10mm?

20170630_170655.jpg

• 5 months later...

I got this - Ohlins spring code:    01091-24    (with rate 80 N/mm)  which is what I wanted..

The 80 N/mm but 10mm longer, sorted out with the Preload Adjuster and fine tuned according to Ohlins instructions with original shock lengths/loads.

Was great fun changing the spring (first time) and looking good.

Now the test is on the road.. to be continued..

20171217_192750_HDR.jpg

20171220_192245_HDR.jpg

• Like 1