efe side panel vent removal-how/

Hello, im in the process of prepping my efe sidepanels to paint them, and i want to remove the side vent section.

Its held on by some weird little clips, which are quite corroded.

Any idea how these come off, it looks like its held in a " low n" position if that makes sense.

Do i just lever up the ends at the same time, or whats the secret, cos i dont want to break the vents or their little plastic pegs which the clip is connected to ?

thanks, i hope

Edited by baldrick

Its a bit of a risk, especially because mine dont look half as clean or corrosion free as yours do.

Knowing my luck i will break it, and they are unobtainium now arent they?

Oh well, think i will just have to scotchbrite them, and spray some adhesion promotor.

Thanks for your help fellahs

Balders best way to get rectangular shaft retainers off is to push a scriber into the gaps and prise up the tabs, but if you have to break them off just replace them.  http://www.Eblag.co.uk/itm/Steel-Push-On-Flat-Clip-Flower-Grab-Starlock-Washers-2-4mm-3-32-To-24mm-/371120504439?var=&hash=item5668817e77:m:mTV-PDvsc16V4gJp3UtSQ1Q or http://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Badge_Fixes.html

Edited by kiwi
  • Like 2

its painted now, (well its primered), so  i would rather leave the vent panels in place than risk snappping the wee pegs.

Ive had a real close look and the paint has covered everything you can see so its all good.

but useful information for anyone else in the same boat, so thanks for that

just waiting for the wurth plastec  panel adhesive/filler to arrive to repair the cracks and mounting lugs.

50 fucking quid- including the 2 pack gun for it-  it better be good. i will report back

Just a quick update.

If you have cracked side panels and everything else has failed, then go out and get yourself some Wurth re-plast.

Its a 2 pack plastic adhesive (needs a special gun for the cartridges), and mixing nozzles.

Cost me 46 odd quid,for the gun and a cartridge, with 2 nozzles,  and im tighter than a ducks arse.

But...........IT WORKS, and it works well.

I drilled a hole to the end of the crack, right thru the panel, and a couple of other smaller holes along the crack, then got the die grinder fired up and a V shaped grinding tool , and ran along the length of the crack about 3-5mm deep, angled the edges to a vee shape, on both sides of the crack, and ground off the crud from the back of the panel around the crack, to expose the plastic.

Filled it with the magic goo, and spread it over the crack, flush with the surface of the panel with a razor blade. Left to set in front of the radiator, then gave it some ham fisted - abuse and it hasnt budged.

Will re-attach some side panel lugs next, but waiting for more nozzles.

Wurth re-plast

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PRODUCT.

• Like 4