Lithium Ion Battery

Wagola

Hi , thanks for the reply. Do you know what model the battery was that you fitted ? As it looks like the one for a bandit 12 is a bit smaller but I don't know if this a good enough spec for a GSXR1100 lump. Did it charge OK with the standard alternator and charging system ? cheers

Use the SSB Powersport Lithium Battery up front to start the bike and primary functions, have a 2nd battery mounted under the seat cowl for all the accessories which take care of pumps, fans, gauges GPS etc. Nice thing is, the Lithium weighs about as much as a cigarette packet full :)

Edited by Scara
7 hours ago, Wagola said:

Hi , thanks for the reply. Do you know what model the battery was that you fitted ? As it looks like the one for a bandit 12 is a bit smaller but I don't know if this a good enough spec for a GSXR1100 lump. Did it charge OK with the standard alternator and charging system ? cheers

JMT I think. I will be switching to total loss at some point but for the time being I have an alternator and standard  charging system. It charges just fine but I have no lights.

When the box first arrived I thought I had been robbed. It felt like an empty box.

• Like 1

Not entirely true, you can get away with dumb chargers that just throw a steady current into them, old is actually good. Let's face it, that is what your alternator is going to be doing.

Avoid ever letting the battery run right down, plenty of cheap status indicators/volt meters on the net. If it looks like the battery is not going to get the bike fired up, stick it on charge sooner as opposed to later. Anything less than 10v showing and you might be taking notes out of your wallet and tearing them up.

Things to avoid like the plague are smart chargers that try to modulate the current or have a 'Deep Discharge Recovery' mode. 

Hi and thanks for the info. I get what you are saying about using an older charger and I think I have one of those in the back of the garage somewhere. Would you go for a lithium ion or lithium iron phosphate? seems like a lot of extra cash for the phosphate ones.