Welcome to the Winged Hammers Cregnybaa

Congratulations to @cregnybaa of Geoff Martin Racing you're our latest addition to the Winged Hammers team

Geoff will be wearing our race team  stickers on the bikes that he competes with in this year's Classic TT on the Isle of Man . Below are a few pictures of his bikes.  The first picture below was the 2010 classic Manx superbike race in which he finished 3rd behind Michael Dunlop and Mark Buckley on 750g that was built from bits.

The team will be off to the island again this year, the rider this year will be  Dennis Booth from northern Ireland. Geoff tells us that Dennis loves these old bikes even though he rides the latest BMW 1000 in modern races. Last year Dennis had a fastest lap of 115.8 mph and he was the 4th Suzuki to finish and the first standard framed one, the other 3 being gsxr engined xr69s.

Welcome to the Winged Hammers Geoff Martin Racing. May our mighty winged hammer emblem lift Dennis to new heights on the Manx leader board.

img001.jpg.1c147b9a4e8080969413b200bf4dab0b.jpg

285-IMG_9156.thumb.jpg.3b8d0ef79f51116020c161a6769add79.jpg

187-6Y6B9899.thumb.jpg.764545d246e1e0aafe32f077a18c28a9.jpg

057.thumb.JPG.e5a4559b77de7354e4ab01e124982877.JPG

img011.thumb.jpg.bb724c0d7cbdfe2a96d2dbdfdf057595.jpg

• Like 13

There is actually a clear set of rules laid down and always has been, but as with most things with competition there are people who push the boundaries and then some who just downright cheat. as an example the zxrs are easy to cheat with. because of the year of the bike they should be 750cc but are allowed plus manufacturers max standard oversize. so to cheat you either fit zx7r pistons 3mm bigger  or the crank assy from the 900 or in some cases even a 900 engine as they look almost identical. I was talking to brian crighton the rotary Norton man in the paddock at the classic  TT, he say's to me peter's bike a zxr was doing 164hp on the dyno, he then smiles and said the works ones never made that when they were new, the good thing is they often go bang but yes I have heard that they may turn a blind eye once again.

1 minute ago, stockcar said:

?? I thought most of them were thrown out last year........

Think the 900's were ... but the oversize boys rightly pointed out that factory spec pistons were rocking horse shit and worth more than a basic bike for a set! Hey - it's classics racing - so for the IOM it's always been about the show! The racers obviously think differently. There was an article, well written, about the whole situation, which sided with allowing the oversize pistons on the grounds of cost. Not sure whether it was addressed in the regs ... but pretty sure there were carefully worded changes.

1 hour ago, Solcambs said:

Think the 900's were ... but the oversize boys rightly pointed out that factory spec pistons were rocking horse shit and worth more than a basic bike for a set! Hey - it's classics racing - so for the IOM it's always been about the show! The racers obviously think differently. There was an article, well written, about the whole situation, which sided with allowing the oversize pistons on the grounds of cost. Not sure whether it was addressed in the regs ... but pretty sure there were carefully worded changes.

The pistons story holds no water at all if you go to omega pistons at Blackheath they will make you a set of forged pistons .

11 hours ago, cregnybaa said:

The pistons story holds no water at all if you go to omega pistons at Blackheath they will make you a set of forged pistons .

I'm with you on that one ... don't agree with it. The IoM regs seem loosely applied at the best of times ... and I (with no evidence) do get the "impression" that if you are a well known rider it helps!

I have now received the decal pack, thanks to minx and katanamangler and all concerned, they will hopefully be doing some fast laps of the greatest circuit in the world the TT mountain circuit. many thanks

Edited by cregnybaa
mistake
  • Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

Just back from the pre TT races on the billown circuit in the south of the I.O.M, Dennis got a 3rd on my bike in the classic superbike race, the bike ran fine during practice and the race, never put a spanner on it only to change wheels, weather was shit race day. will post a better picture when I can find one. below picture of the podium and results sheet. 

img074.jpg

img075.jpg

• Like 6
9 hours ago, cregnybaa said:

Just back from the pre TT races on the billown circuit in the south of the I.O.M, Dennis got a 3rd on my bike in the classic superbike race, the bike ran fine during practice and the race, never put a spanner on it only to change wheels, weather was shit race day. will post a better picture when I can find one. below picture of the podium and results sheet. 

img074.jpg

I hope you said hello to my good mate Neil Champion ... who was out on his Kwak 750

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...