knack to starting the katana 1100

well folks the katana 11 is a bit of a bitch to start i try to start on full choke no thrittle and no luck then sometimes if i catch it right on just the thrittle she starts,have any of ye got this problem,once started the first time she is perfect everytime after takes a good 20 or 30 seconds to get her fired up first time ?

My efe engined bike is the same. It's almost certainly caused by a blocked cold starter jet in one of the carbs as I do not have a vacuum tap. Your problem may have a tap influence too though. Even ultra-sonic cleaning doesn't make any difference but once it's been running for 20-30 secs it's fine. I just learn to live with it. I like it that noone else can start my bike from cold as they do not know its little nuances:)

there's a range of things - all related to wear n tear that can be the root cause - and it shows up on cold start because this is when the fuel is least burn friendly - the good thing is anything you do to try and fix it is probably needing doing anyway, even if it doesn't sort the immediate symptom

you got the obvious fuel getting into and out of the right jets for cold start

you got a deteriorating ignition system leading to plug fouling

you got reduced vacuum draw   - further complicated by changes to airbox / ex pipe

you got weeping valve stem seals - more common than appreciated - they go hard with the heat cycles = that slug of oil in the morning making the fuel even harder to light up

and you get a combination of all these and more, all playing a part - fix one and it helps get over the challenge, maybe not fix the cause though

kinda like ourselves  - me I'm crap 1st thing in the morning - could be the extra dram I had or the lack of nicotine and caffeine in my system  - two coffees and cigarettes and I start to wake up - but I know this isn't fixing the cause :D

If I don't prime my GS1000S after a long break, it won't start. Prime it for about 1 minute and it starts every time. I do have to keep my finger on the starter button for probably a minute before it kicks in.

it's always done this and it's got no worse or better. I think it's just a trait of these motors.

Do you have a solid 12 volts to your coils? I bet if you checked you may have 9-11 volts especially during starter motor engagement. I always do the coil relay mod, puts a solid 12 volts to the coils and that old air-cooled engine start a lot better.

Edited by Fjbj40
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, Fjbj40 said:

Do you have a solid 12 volts to your coils? I bet if you checked you may have 9-11 volts especially during starter motor engagement. I always do the coil relay mod, puts a solid 12 volts to the coils and that old air-cooled engine start a lot better.

have new dyna coils and leads all power is perfect ,i didnt try the pri start yet will do tonight and let ye know

It is not the coils, it is the power feeding the coils. If you have time just check the voltage feeding the coils. 

I use the coil feed wire to close the relay I install, I feed battery power directly to the coil. Out of the 4 old Suzukisi have owned this is what I did and the starting was vastly improved.

Cheers

• Like 1

If the bike has stood for any length of time PRIME has to be used , if only for 30 seconds or so and then the bike will start and the tap can be turned back onto the normal running position.

Battery condition and plugs also make a difference

I did a bit of research of few years ago with plugs and found that NGK Iridium plugs made the bike start easier AND it very quickly settled down  to a regular tickover.

On older bikes and cars with points ignition and carbs,  Iridium plugs make a huge difference to starting and overall running

Bikes and cars with rudimentary electronic ignition and carbs or early mechanical injection  Iridium plugs will be an improvement but not as great

More modern vehicles with ecu controlled electronic ignition and fuel injection , Iridium plugs will make no difference to running but do last a bit longer