Anyone have info on frame bracing a gs1000

6 hours ago, Slabbyruss712 said:

Many thanks for the replies, and sorry didn't think I needed to introduce myself as was a member of the old site.. But Hi I'm russ I live in Sheffield and I'm building a gs 1000 

Welcome back to OSS Russ.

What's the plans?

If you need any help I'm just over the hills in the peak ;)

ive a katana frame that was braced by lucky7 when he built the katana for one of the bike mags, he actually built 2 frames, one for the lucky 7 katana, and this second one which was extensively braced and also had the rear shock mounts moved to emulate the yoshi katanas. he sold it to a guy who never did anything with it, and then i got it from him (and its not looking good so far, lol) i can post pics if you want?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, johnr said:

ive a katana frame that was braced by lucky7 when he built the katana for one of the bike mags, he actually built 2 frames, one for the lucky 7 katana, and this second one which was extensively braced and also had the rear shock mounts moved to emulate the yoshi katanas. he sold it to a guy who never did anything with it, and then i got it from him (and its not looking good so far, lol) i can post pics if you want?

Pic are all ways good 

16 hours ago, johnr said:

yes do ... if not in this thread ... another thread of it's own - would be interested to see the mods made to frame for the rear shocks.

On 1/31/2017 at 10:11 PM, Markz9 said:

If it helps I've had mine braced by harris they moved the top shock mounts and removed the old suzuki bottom shock mounts if you don't do that you really limit choice of rear shocks 

Trying to work out how to fit a GSXR750M swingarm and wheel into a GS550 frame, and run it twin shock. Have you got any pictures of the relocated shock mounts. What length shocks were you running? 

3 hours ago, Markz9 said:

yes I had to send the triangular measurements to Maxton when they built the shocks I will send over some piccys and pm dims

as its a race bike to increase ground clearance the bike sits higher even with cutting down cases you will grind them

That would be great, thanks. 

if you google yoshimura katana race bike, or wes cooley katana, you will see the yoshi race katana had its top shock mounts placed very far forward, i think the idea was to lift the back end and steepen the head angle making it tip into corners easier. the yoshi ones look pretty hastily done but theyre more or less where these are.
the idea i had was to assemble the parts to build a katana that you would have built in the 1980s if you had the wedge, so, aftermarket components that were available at the time, so no modern wide 3 spokes, no turbos just the stuff you could buy back in the day. i remember buying mcn every week and flicking through the small ads at the back looking for what you could buy for your bike from the small ads.  im sort of half way there now, ive a set of brembo calipers, a nice lockhart oil cooler, a metmachex swingarm and chain guard, 1170 wiseco kit and yoshi cams, vm32's micron fork brace, harris pipe, cma 3 spoke solid alloy wheels, and a few other nice little bits. but this is a long slow process that im not in any rush for. every once in a while i will add to the big box of bits ive collected. it might be my retirement gift to myself at this rate.

• Like 1