chain run . . . again !

gsx

7 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

Air cooled GS1150 frame Oil-cooled motor ..blandit arm .shingshot wheel and carrier 180tyre "Dunlop" stock from spacer and sprocket...530 chain

Loads off room.......

.DSCN2589.JPG

DSCN2585.JPG

the only time chain ever rubs tyre is at the strip when tyre is running about 8- 10 PSI 9_9

Hey Mr duck, engine was originally in an efe and running 520 was close to tire,just struggling  with chain run issues at the moment.

Would offsetting the rear wheel 5 mm harm the handling that much ?

17 minutes ago, gsx said:

Hey Mr duck, engine was originally in an efe and running 520 was close to tire,just struggling  with chain run issues at the moment.

I would not offset the wheel.....go back to basics is every thing actually in the middle of the frame

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

I would not offset the wheel.....go back to basics is every thing actually in the middle of the frame

Engine plates are 6mm steel ,so front ,bottom and upper bolted up then rear bottom mounts welded on to suit.

Rear wheel has gs hub 35 ish offset.

Outside of rear sprocket clashes with frame using string as a straight edge ,tried alloy  box but string more reliable..just me I'm a builder ..

Chain is a vx at 23.5mm

Could machine couple mill off the carrier but as it stands front and rear are 10 mill out 

1 hour ago, Duckndive said:

Air cooled GS1150 frame Oil-cooled motor ..blandit arm .shingshot wheel and carrier 180tyre "Dunlop" stock from spacer and sprocket...530 chain

Loads off room.......

.DSCN2589.JPG

DSCN2585.JPG

the only time chain ever rubs tyre is at the strip when tyre is running about 8- 10 PSI 9_9

of course there is more clearance at the swingarm pivot  area on an 1150 frame .....but the issue is with a et 750 frame......apples and oranges .

57 minutes ago, Duckndive said:

It's no more than 10mm wider or 5mm a side I,ve had both and not had any issues getting chain 

Thanks for the input will post tomorrow when the oral morphine and vody wear off.

Just pisses me that no one feels confident enough to post when a mods on line 

Cheers  and thankyou jay 

3 hours ago, gsx said:

I had another build with a SSSA and offset rear wheel, was supposedly centered correctly (by me) after being set up.

after riding the bike a few times and not being happy with the handling, I took the rear end apart and re measured everything, it came to light that

the wheel off set was more than i had been told, ended up being off set by 5mm, once i added 5mm to the wheel spacer and centered it properly the bike handled correctly.

so yes 5mm does make a difference mate

Edited by 370steve
  • Like 1
55 minutes ago, gsx said:

Just pisses me that no one feels confident enough to post when a mods on line 

i don't believe that and certainly hope that's not the case....

......i think most people are nursing alcohol/drug/sugar/in-laws/etc comedowns/hangovers....

if the motor is in true and the rear wheel is centred, i would take the front sprocket off and pull out the spacer that is sat on the sprocket output shaft (the front sprocket butts up against it) measure it. you can then determine if this is the 'trouble'

2 hours ago, vizman said:

i don't believe that and certainly hope that's not the case....

......i think most people are nursing alcohol/drug/sugar/in-laws/etc comedowns/hangovers....

if the motor is in true and the rear wheel is centred, i would take the front sprocket off and pull out the spacer that is sat on the sprocket output shaft (the front sprocket butts up against it) measure it. you can then determine if this is the 'trouble'

Will look tomorrow, often the most obvious that's over looked which is why I asked , thankyou Mr vizzy