chain run . . . again !

gsx

750 et frame 11 slabby motor .

Gotta 12 bandit arm and 11 Slingy 17 rear wheel,  carrier is 35 mm which is trying to chew me frame .

Measured me kat but same setup with 11 arm all ok ? 

Question, are gs 1000 carriers 30mm and what was pop mod  for slabby front sprocket when running 180 

Thanks 

I've got  a GS1000 carrier in a RF900 wheel, that's in a Bandit 1200 rear fork in a GS1000.

Not an answer to your question, but may be it helps you ..

The carrier fitted 1:1, but I think I had to make up spacers/bushes to get the right distance. (It's been about 7 years ago I did this)

Get a laser aligner, this will help you to perfectly determine how to set things up. Put laser aligner on front sprocket.

Edited by Reinhoud
  • Like 1

Run a length of string down it and inside of back sprocket lines up with outside of front .

Soo 30 mm carrier and 5 out on front should sort it but thought gs thousand were 30mm, just measured me air cooled katana carrier which bandit arm was in and that's 35mm too ? Confused

Had a rummage and what I thought was gs  is 40 mm

Gotta gs 500 one which is 30mm but 5 bolt doh!

2 minutes ago, vizman said:

i notched the frame on my et, blandit/gsxr/turbo, slingy 5.5 rearwheel/sprocket carrier, spondon arm....and i use a length of alloy angle for chain run, string for my tomato plants

That's helpful , anyone else ?

4 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

Don't use string, it looks accurate, till you check it with a laser...

What do you mean with the numbers, what sizes are that? From what?

Chain looked fine on the run and wouldn't have checked if didn't hit the frame , 14 /44 equal 150 mph with 17 slingy wheels.

Putting 180 rear in slabby was popular mod back in the day though .

Debben do 17 off set front ,just need to work the gearing 

My GS1000 goes a little faster, stock gear ratio, but smaller back wheel, feels like I have a close ratio box, quite nice.

I've got a 170 tyre in it, wider doesn't work in mine.

I made the back wheel in the center off the frame, made the sprocket carrier as close to the tyre as possible, and then align the front  (off set) sprocket, measure what size spacer I needed.

I did it with string too, I thought I did a good job, till I checked it with a laser, it was a centimeter out.

Doesn't sound much, but the stress on the out going shaft off the gear box will be a lot less!

• Like 1

Oh, you want to know the calculations?

T1 x Z1 = T2 x Z2

T = rpm, Z = amount of teeth. Now you need to know the gear ratio's in your engine.

Pi x D = circumference wheel, do this in cm, calculate back to meters.

say rpm off back wheel is 2000rpm, say the circumference is 214cm, is 2.14 meter

2000 x 2.14 = 4280 meters per minute.

4280 meters is 4.28 kilometers

Now you have to go from minutes to hours, is times 60

4.28 x 60 is 256.8 km/h

So if your back wheel is going at 2000rpm, you're going 256 km/h

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Reinhoud said:

Oh, you want to know the calculations?

T1 x Z1 = T2 x Z2

T = rpm, Z = amount of teeth. Now you need to know the gear ratio's in your engine.

Pi x D = circumference wheel, do this in cm, calculate back to meters.

say rpm off back wheel is 2000rpm, say the circumference is 214cm, is 2.14 meter

2000 x 2.14 = 4280 meters per minute.

4280 meters is 4.28 kilometers

Now you have to go from minutes to hours, is times 60

4.28 x 60 is 256.8 km/h

So if your back wheel is going at 2000rpm, you're going 256 km/h

That completely fucked me my friend but thanks for the reply , think I'll go with machine rear and spacing front .

All I wanted was reply from some one with similar issues

I've got a b6 carrier but had to weld two back sprocket s to get clearance for a 160 tire . Think going to have to go with a 520 chain and spacer the front some how .strange thing is same setup works on me air cooled katana running 530 with off set front . Loads running this set up too

Ps b6 carrier on another bike 

Edited by gsx
early