Oil feed and returns

Tombola

Hello all could I have a little help with my oil feeds please?

i have a gsx1100f engine which I assume is the same as the gsxr lump, I see people take their oil feed from the cam gallery is that correct? I don't really want to spend a fortune on a billet crossover bar what other options do I have?

regards to oil return it's a td04 turbo which recommends a -10 hose, seeing as I'm running one of them facet pumps like most to scavenge there no way that's possible. I take it no one had any issues?

IMG_0005.JPG

Don't take turbo oil feed from cams! They need it more than the turbo. Use the main gallery via plug lower RHS just ahead of clutch cover. Re drain - built a little 'tank' (50x25x25mm should be plenty) straight on to the turbo outlet with a 1/4 hose connector to the Facet.

BTW - that's a GSX aircooled picture LOL

Edited by Gixer1460
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Don't take turbo oil feed from cams! They need it more than the turbo. Use the main gallery via plug lower RHS just ahead of clutch cover. Re drain - built a little 'tank' (50x25x25mm should be plenty) straight on to the turbo outlet with a 1/4 hose connector to the Facet.

BTW - that's a GSX aircooled picture LOL

Yes I know only one I could find!

The oil gallery plug below the ignition pickup is M16 x 1.5, some people use -03AN (Same as brake hose) and associated fittings to supply the turbo. Measure the amount of oil flowing through the turbo with the engine running and make sure it is within the specs of the turbo. Restrict the supply if flowing too much, oil return should be unrestricted and in a large bore hose or to a catch can and pumped away.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Paulm said:

Drill and tap the gallery plug for a normal brake hose banjo bolt and use brake hose with normal banjo fittings,you can also tap a thread into the banjo bolt and use a carburettor main jet to restrict the oil flow.

I've seen that done but as the plug is allen key tightened you'll lose that and then you are relying on the oil fitting adapter to tighten it - risky IMO, a proper adapter is the sensible route.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

I've seen that done but as the plug is allen key tightened you'll lose that and then you are relying on the oil fitting adapter to tighten it - risky IMO, a proper adapter is the sensible route.

Use a bolt of the same thread with a nut on it to tighten the plug in, worked fine on the one I done.

7 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Never had a problem with mine,agreed a proper adapter is the proper way to do it,but mine is fine. Seen plenty of them done this way with no issues.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Depending on the turbo you are using, you may have to restrict the amount of flow through the oil feed line. That line will put out litres is your not careful and in some cases good for a 80 psi shot. I threw in a restrictor to fix the problem of oil gushing out the pipes in the banjo bolt itself, then measured the oil flow out of the turbo over 60 seconds to get it right.

I had the banjo tapped for a fuel main jet, that way I could control the amount of oil which fed the turbo and made it totally adjustable  - plus or minus oil amount.

I run a TD05H 16G which I'm told is fairly indestructible and requires flow not pressured oil, to operate. After speaking to Turbo experts, 600ml per 60 seconds was ideal. This was achieved by fitting a #130 jet size. This may vary engine to engine depending on the efficiency of your engine oil pump. A scavenger is connected to the lower side of my catch can, and fed back into the crankcase which must have an external crank case breather fitted and vented to air. The size required was a -10AN. Otherwise you end up with positive crankcase pressure as I discovered. AS i fitted a lock up clutch, it was an easy fix there after. You can see I mounted two connections, an -8AN oil return line and a -10AN breather line to a custom box mounted under the seat which collects vented oil vapour from the clutch and the rocker cover individually.

Additionally, I added a one way flow valve in the oil feed line to stop the motor 'bleeding' oil into the turbo when I shut it off.

When resting on the side stand after a run, the bike bled oil into the floor without it.

cropped.jpg

DSCN3271.JPG

DSCN4127.JPG

DSCN4114.JPG

Edited by Scara

About the same system as Scara, feed line with a one-way valve to stop the head from syphoning its oil to the turbo. As my turbo is too low for gravity drain, it has a catchtank with a Facet electric return pump. Runs a year like this now.

F4DD37C1-F97A-48DC-BB6B-38EFD6C9932B_zps

(Old picture, now Efi)

Edited by bruteforce