Spondon Turbo winter refresh and makeover

MeanBean49

nice to see the bike going back together always been one of my favourite bikes on here. Think its always wise to port a head on a turbo engine ,I know your forcing air into it but its still got to get into the engine in a very short space of time. Run a ported head on my bandit and seams to go ok . I would have to do something with the turbo exhaust housing tho as it would stress me out being a bit rusty :$

1 hour ago, colinworth79 said:

nice to see the bike going back together always been one of my favourite bikes on here. Think its always wise to port a head on a turbo engine ,I know your forcing air into it but its still got to get into the engine in a very short space of time. Run a ported head on my bandit and seams to go ok . I would have to do something with the turbo exhaust housing tho as it would stress me out being a bit rusty :$

I got the head really cheap so thought it was worth trying, Im not really struggling for power but my thinking is a better flowing engine will help take some load off the turbo making it pickup faster and be more reliable, not that its been unreliable so far.

Wish i could do somthing about the housing, just not worth it for how quickly it goes rusty again. Just keep the rest shiny to distract attention from it

10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

You could always ceramic coat the turbine housing - never rusts, withstands 1200 deg's and keeps the heat in for better spool .......... marginal possibility!

I'm going to give it a go later in the year . Just got to find another housing to send off . Been told don't go for the white as can look dirty after a while and impossible to clean it up.

10 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

You could always ceramic coat the turbine housing - never rusts, withstands 1200 deg's and keeps the heat in for better spool .......... marginal possibility!

Not so keen to try stripping a largely non rebuildable turbo just to try and make it look a bit cleaner. Rather just leave it in one piece and fully functional

16 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Not so keen to try stripping a largely non rebuildable turbo just to try and make it look a bit cleaner. Rather just leave it in one piece and fully functional

Eh? Most turbo's just rely on 3 or 4 screws and a couple of plates or large circlips to hold turbine housing to the core so hardly rocket science to disassemble. 

9 hours ago, stockcar said:

They split centrally and then you can simply get the 'hot side' coated

Theres no rebuild kits easily available and very few companies rebuild them.

I would not consider leaving the internals fitted whilst it was being blased/coated.

And im not going to pay a fortune for one of the few companies who can do it to do a rebuild just for the sake of ashtetics.

Should it ever need a rebuild then i may look at coating it whilst its in bits anyway

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, stockcar said:

To have the hot side ceramic coated it does not require anything rebuilt..........

presume it's a Subaru IHI VF and if so have done a lot of them previously, not sure you understand how it dismantles??

Course i understand how it dismantles, however just getting the exhaust housing done to me is just half a job. Would still leave the cartridge looking the same. And imho look crap.

Like i said im not overly interested in taking a perfectly good turbo to bits just to make 1 bit of it more pleasing to someone elses eye.

Bike is about functionality over form

• Like 3
3 hours ago, stockcar said:

take the front & rear housing off and leave the core alone so no need for any rebuild or dismantling and you are left with this............

Subaru%20IHI%20core_zpsceude6um.jpeg

I know.

I would be left with that bit still being rusty. And imo it would look shit with the housing not rusty.