I recently purchased a 2000 one owner 1200 Bandit with 1400 miles, the bike looks brand new. It keeps stalling, the fuel, vacuum lines and petcock have been replaced.Gas cap vent cleaned. It seems to take a long time to warm up & it struggles to get to 4000 rpms with full choke. It ran great for 4 days & over 125 miles after the gas cap vent was cleaned. But on my way home it stalled while doing 60 mph. It took a while to get it started but it ran great when it did. Please help I love this bike when it's running 

When you start the machine from cold, does it run on all four cylinders? You can check this by carefully determining if all the exhaust header pipes are hot. Careful, as they heat up very quickly and it's easy to get burned. You can avoid this by accurate spitting.

If the bike has such a low mileage it must have stood for long periods of time and if any fuel was still in the carbs may it have turned to varnish. Have the carbs been cleaned?

Edited by Dezza
13 minutes ago, t3rse said:

I run 89 in mine, with ethanol.  It's fine.

Does it warm up ok?  Is it acting out when it's hot?  Have you tried putting the petcock on reserve?

I might be able to but it wouldn't be non ethanol. Also the bike has14,000 miles l had a typo. All 4 pipes get hot when l start it. It does seem to undulate & there is a slight sputtering in the exhaust when warming up, 

is this a mk1 or mk2 bandit ? Does it have four pipes under where the headers attach to the head ? If so The PAIR system can be a nuisance with cold starting/running , slow warm up , poor running til warm . There's an easy way to isolate it as a test if it's a mk2

I didn't understand so I took some pics. I just got back from taking it for a ride trying it on the reserve siding bike ran great for about 10 to 15 minutes and then about 55 - 60 miles an hour I couldn't keep the RPMs up a downshifted to second to try to keep the RPMs up no throttle response it just dies. Then it takes me a few minutes to get it started and it didn't run as well as it normally does after this happens it almost seems like it's running on four cylinders and then something happens and it drops to three and then the bike shuts off I don't know, but it's so frustrating 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

11 hours ago, colinworth79 said:

disconnect the fuel pipe from the tap then connect a hose to container and turn the tap to prime and see if the fuel flows at a steady rate , if not vac tap is playing up or breather is still blocked

I concur .. it sounds like a fuelling issue. Either the tank is vacuuming, the pipe is kinked, the diaphragm in the tap is buggered, or some other issue. 

On 7/30/2016 at 5:52 PM, Madb said:

Do they have a vacum pipe to the petcock? Check if leaking or trapped.

Just throwing ideas out.

This was my first assumption:  forgot to hook up the vacuum line on the petcock...

Try riding with the cap cap cracked open as well?

I took the ignition cover off and found oil. Is there supposed be oil in there? I started the bike with the cover off and the bike was spitting oil out the side. My theory or thought is maybe when I'm riding the bike my ignition compartment is filling with oil and shorting out the bike but if that's the case where does the oil go?  Does this make any sense to anyone 

Pop the carbs off..They'll come up through the frame with all the cables still in place. Just need to unplug the TPS first. Float bowls off and check for sediment etc.

Mine wouldn't pull or rev clean over 4000RPM last weekend. Found a dead fly in the bowl on Number 4.

WP_20160731_005_zpsxzqht5x6.jpg

• Like 1