GSX750ES Forum Newcomer

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but have been binge browsing for the last few days and decided to sign up and get involved. As per title I have in my possession an '83 GSX750ES with 57k on the clock which I rode last year for most of the summer until the MOT ran out, since then it's been sitting in the garage doing very little. 

I came upon the forum during my quest for knowledge about swingarm and fork conversions for the bike as my biggest gripe with it last year was the tiny wheels and their ability to remind me of fleeting mortality at every corner, as well as sheer weight. What I'd like to know is this; are there any swingarm and fork conversions which are essentially bolt on? I appreciate custom work and tinkering as much as the next person, but I find myself with a garage that has no electricity and is too far from my flat to run an extension/cable.

I've done a little bit of homework and fair bit of searching over the last week and it appears for the swingarm I should go with a bandit item, I'd most likely go for a 600 arm and wheel because I'm only looking to run a 150/160 rear tyre. On the front I've seen mention of TL forks fitting in but unsure of cost at present. Whilst I would love USD'S on the bike if something like a bandit front would fit too I'd most likely go for that. Suspension mounts are also a problem and I'd most likely go with cheapest bandit compatible mono that I can. I've seen much discussion of welding new mounts, but unfortunately I can't weld. I decided a history degree was much more useful than practical knowledge. The fool I was. 

I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to keep the bike and work on it as my budget is tight (sub £500) and there's plenty to be done. Some other work includes bottom end gasket as there's a fairly heavy leak, RHS cover gasket, new RHS fairing, tail replacement and seat modding. The bike has (EDIT: I spoke to a friend with more knowledge of this particular bike who said that my carbs are actually off an ET model, they just arnt balanced) and as such takes ludicrous time to warm up and makes the clutch sound like there's a brick in the engine at low revs as the vibes rattle the bike. Or at least I've been told that's what is happening. As inspiration I'm going off the following (although I'll be running full bars): 

suzuki-gsx-750es-fighter--solgt_zpsycuzx

Anywho many thanks for reading, I shall reward your patience with a poor photo of the virtually stock machine in question:

DSC_0023_zpshdfkvgke.jpg

Edited by liquid_snake
  • Like 6

ullo' n' welcome......you're not the first and I doubt be the last to pimp one of these....have a look in the project section, I think you'll find most of the answers you're looking for. also start your own project thread....get's people interested enough to help.

2 hours ago, liquid_snake said:

Hello all, I'm new to the forum but have been binge browsing for the last few days and decided to sign up and get involved. As per title I have in my possession an '83 GSX750ES with 57k on the clock which I rode last year for most of the summer until the MOT ran out, since then it's been sitting in the garage doing very little. 

I came upon the forum during my quest for knowledge about swingarm and fork conversions for the bike as my biggest gripe with it last year was the tiny wheels and their ability to remind me of fleeting mortality at every corner, as well as sheer weight. What I'd like to know is this; are there any swingarm and fork conversions which are essentially bolt on? I appreciate custom work and tinkering as much as the next person, but I find myself with a garage that has no electricity and is too far from my flat to run an extension/cable.

I've done a little bit of homework and fair bit of searching over the last week and it appears for the swingarm I should go with a bandit item, I'd most likely go for a 600 arm and wheel because I'm only looking to run a 150/160 rear tyre.

Is there any specific reason to change the swingarm? If not, you can fit a GSXR wheel with a 160 tire on it to your existing swinger. Mine has a 170, but it´s too wide for the wheel. Older GSXR´s had these funny rear wheels. You may need to swap wheel bearings too, can´t remember. And modify your wheel spacers and rear brake caliper hanger. You´ll also need an offset front sprocket.

I´m affraid there is no real bolt-on option for these bikes, but all the above can be done without welding.

For front ends you need to find a chart with streering stem bearing dimensions. That gets you a long way.

I´m sure someone has done a front end swap with these, mine is still in progress and it´s a mix´n´match affair so I can´t help much.

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone! The homework continues via the search function and more enlightening information has been dug up.

2 hours ago, Samikoo said:

Is there any specific reason to change the swingarm? If not, you can fit a GSXR wheel with a 160 tire on it to your existing swinger. Mine has a 170, but it´s too wide for the wheel. Older GSXR´s had these funny rear wheels. You may need to swap wheel bearings too, can´t remember. And modify your wheel spacers and rear brake caliper hanger. You´ll also need an offset front sprocket.

I´m affraid there is no real bolt-on option for these bikes, but all the above can be done without welding.

For front ends you need to find a chart with streering stem bearing dimensions. That gets you a long way.

I´m sure someone has done a front end swap with these, mine is still in progress and it´s a mix´n´match affair so I can´t help much.

Keeping the original swingarm is actually preferable as I'm not wanting to tear the whole bike apart and risk missing the summer/losing interest like my zzr project. Which year of GSXR is it that fits? 

As far as front conversions are concerned I'm basing much of my information on the "AllBalls Racing" website which has a handy chart on it showing with bearings they can manufacture to fit conversions. The problem with the site being there's no detailed specification of fork length, that's where the forum work comes in.

http://www.allballsracing.com/index.php/forkconversion

The problem for me comes when discussion of stem lengths etc comes into play. I've done a fair bit of tinkering with bikes but not really much major chopping and changing so at times I may ask the obvious questions. One of which being offsetting front sprocket, I'm aware such a thing exists but wouldn't know how to do it

Many thanks again for the help so far everyone it's very much appreciated 

2 minutes ago, liquid_snake said:

The problem for me comes when discussion of stem lengths etc comes into play. I've done a fair bit of tinkering with bikes but not really much major chopping and changing so at times I may ask the obvious questions. One of which being offsetting front sprocket, I'm aware such a thing exists but wouldn't know how to do it

There used to be a chart on the old original forum with fork lengths and such, Don´t know if there is one to be found right now. I have one printed somewhere, I´ll see I´ll find it and if I do, I´ll scan it.

You go to that google thing, and type "suzuki offset front sprocket". And bang, pictures of such things should appear. I made my own out of two original sprockets, but there are commercial offerings available.

you can fit early gsxr front ends without bearing swops, just got to modify the lock stops...and you can ram a gsxr rear wheel in your original rear end set up without too much faffin' about. have a look at rene's 'goings-on in my shed' thread in the members projects section......offset front sprockets available from debben.co.uk

...the reason you lost interest in the zzr is coz' they're shyte.

• Like 3

Hi and welcome to oss, 

As been said you can put a 4.5" gsxr rear wheel in your standard swing arm or a bandit 600 which is 4" you can fit a b6 front wheel in your standard forks or rf600 which has a 3.5" rim you will need to change the f/wheel herrings and make some hangers for the callipers.

Front end you can go for slabside or slingshot or gsx750f.

• Like 1

Just thinking, if you use a b6 rear wheel for a mk1 I believe the spindle is the same size as your gsx and you will need to chech this, if you use a gs500 twin rear sprocket career it will bring the chain nearer the wheel so now need for a spaced out front sprocket. Well it works with the gsxr wheel and a gs1000 motor.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we got the same bike (and inspirational pic) in common :)

Looking forward to following your project!

Here's some pics of mine from last spring. Done some modifications since then tho...

Anyways, i'm also looking into the swing arm/wheel & fork swap, on a tight budget at the moment. But sure got some good advice from your thread :) 

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

• Like 2
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/1/2016 at 1:46 PM, wraith said:

Hi and welcome to oss, 

As been said you can put a 4.5" gsxr rear wheel in your standard swing arm or a bandit 600 which is 4" (...)

Front end you can go for slabside or slingshot or gsx750f.

Hi,
Very new to the forum and just bought a 1984 GS750e, which has already seen some mods (still trying to find her style), but I am looking for some info on this and if it's a direct fit, particularly the rear wheel and the widest tire I will be able to fit in the existing space.
Many thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, Flugelbinder said:

Hi,
Very new to the forum and just bought a 1984 GS750e, which has already seen some mods (still trying to find her style), but I am looking for some info on this and if it's a direct fit, particularly the rear wheel and the widest tire I will be able to fit in the existing space.
Many thanks in advance.

Good start, hijacking someone's post :P

Try introducing yourself in the general part, put some pics up of your bike and then post your questions in the aircooled part. ;) you will get a much better response (y) and rtfr

Edited by wraith
  • Like 1
  • 3 years later...
On 3/1/2016 at 4:10 PM, Samikoo said:

I know the 1200 bandit front forks with struts fits nice