Bandit turbo oil.

Hello all. I’ve been told it’s better to run fully synthetic oil in a bandit b12 to prolong the life of the turbo. The turbo is a gbc-22 journal bearing. Been told the clutch would slip and if it does just put some extra weight on the lock up. I assume to still use 10w40. Tell me your thoughts or your own personal set ups for oil and oil feed for journal bearing turbos. Tia Alex.

Sensitive topic, oil discussions may get pretty long and heated :P Maybe even the Rules mention something about them...

Yes, synthetic oils can improve lifetime of the turbo, especially if you use longer oil change intervals or run it hot regularly. On the other hand many people claim that the clutch won't work well with synthetic oils or they are generally bad for old bike engines. Personally I haven't noticed these problems nor see any technical basis for them. Assuming that you use oils that are suitable for wet clutches (JASO MA classification). Car oils, esepecially "energy conserving" ones might be a different story.

• Like 2

my 5 cents: used castrol full synthetic 10W60 before on a gsxr bigbore. Fairly high sudden oilconsumption and slipping clutch. It wasnt strictly speaking motorcycle oil so there is that.

I use castrol halfsynthetic  RS 10W40 ever since without issues including gsxr1000, hayabusa,modern gsxr750, a high compression bigbore and a 340HP turbo. I change it every winter which for me means 2000km. (the turbo bike every 1000km or every year whichever comes first, including a good check on shiny debris:-)  Any halfsynthetic 4stroke motorcycle oil from a proper brand would be fine I imagine, I'm just used to this stuff.

Thing is with full synthetic, they can dissolve gunk which was building up inside your old knackered engine causing issues, especially higher oil comsumption. On a fine rebuild engine I would expect no problems except possibly clutch which can be circumvented. (of course dont use full synthetic to run in new pistons)

Personally I would stay away from all kind of special so called high performance racing oils if they are not for 4stroke motorcycles and not for road use. Some of them degrade quickly since they are made for short high performance and not for longevity.

Try Miller's oil in brighouse (love buying British when I can) , a good friend uses them for his classic cars , they have a huge range of stuff including motorcycle ,and motorsport , and have a technical helpline 01484 475060 so maybe worth a call 

• Like 2

I,ve used cheap supermarket 10 / 40 mineral oil for years in both turboed air cooled and oil cooled motors ...."it is getting harder to find though" 

many years ago the co i worked for used 2 major oil suppliers "many dept on location of site"  one was a sponsor of BSB at the time so nice corp entertainment that a side they both offered me oil to which i responded with i use cheap mineral to which both said "shock horror" that wont be much good "but it will adhere to a standard" 

i gave both samples of fresh and used for them to put thru there labs............

Both came back with thats some good stuff with excellent base oils   "one of them also admitted to being the blender off it"   :tu  

Edited by Duckndive
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...