Consensus from the masses

gsx

29 minutes ago, gsx said:

Stuck a bore scope in me engine , 1216 high comp allegedly, 36mm Ronnie's 130 mains. 

It don't smoke rattle or make any undue noises , it is bloody thirsty though and plugs smell of petrol , thoughts gents ?

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, the fuel's getting there but not getting burnt. So I'd suggest starting with the basics, and first on the list would be to take the NGK plugs and smash them to fucking dust with a great big hammer. That will make you feel better, and also get rid of the weakest link in the ignition system as they're utter junk.

Then when you get Bosh or whatever replacements it's on to sorting out whether it's over fuelling or under sparking.

Edited by imago
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, imago said:

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, the fuel's getting there but not getting burnt. So I'd suggest starting with the basics, and first on the list would be to take the NGK plugs and smash them to fucking dust with a great big hammer. That will make you feel better, and also get rid of the weakest link in the ignition system as they're utter junk.

Then when you get Bosh or whatever replacements it's on to sorting out whether it's over fuelling or under sparking.

That's why we did one and two to see if the coils were breaking down , so your saying it looks like over fuelling ? I had a chat about ngk plugs with an independent mechanic been using for years for mot's he couldn't understand how i could get them off the Internet cheaper than him , what do you suggest Larry and a supplier.

Cheers ears 

9 minutes ago, gsx said:

That's why we did one and two to see if the coils were breaking down , so your saying it looks like over fuelling ? I had a chat about ngk plugs with an independent mechanic been using for years for mot's he couldn't understand how i could get them off the Internet cheaper than him , what do you suggest Larry and a supplier.

Cheers ears 

@davecaragave me the Denso part number X27ETR and I got them from the imaginatively named https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ and I believe Dave knows them.

The trouble with NGK is quality control, I think they've given up on it. Consequently you get some that don't work straight out of the box, and others which last a few miles. I swapped from NGK on the 1100G and it was night and day difference in the running.

It might be over fuelling, but I definitely change the plugs first and give it a run before you dig into anything else. Usually a mis-fire is fairly obvious, (a weak spark less so) in which case the next most likely culprit will be fuel. Choke valves sticking part way open, jetting, float heights etc.

No idea on the pistons, not too well up on oil boiler aftermarket stuff.

14 minutes ago, imago said:

@davecaragave me the Denso part number X27ETR and I got them from the imaginatively named https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ and I believe Dave knows them.

The trouble with NGK is quality control, I think they've given up on it. Consequently you get some that don't work straight out of the box, and others which last a few miles. I swapped from NGK on the 1100G and it was night and day difference in the running.

It might be over fuelling, but I definitely change the plugs first and give it a run before you dig into anything else. Usually a mis-fire is fairly obvious, (a weak spark less so) in which case the next most likely culprit will be fuel. Choke valves sticking part way open, jetting, float heights etc.

No idea on the pistons, not too well up on oil boiler aftermarket stuff.

Cheers for that mate ,even though I've had a 1052 Allen Jeff engine for twenty years it's never given me any grief , I'll try the plugs if you think it's fuelling, I've had ngk go down over winter but now get the Suzuki branded ones in boxes of 9 , yeah fuck knows why they settled on that number ? Anyone else got opinions?

It,s quite hard to get a decent reading these days with unleaded fuels....

i use NOS Suzuki branded plugs which i think are Denso ......

i would start with a new set of plugs ....

and a bag with what you need to get them out and a decent thrash down a long straight kill ignition coast to stop and pull plug's 

are you sure its 1216 and high comp ? slugs look very flat ..... 

5 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

Has it been dyno'd? If the carbs are RS flatties, has the acell pump been set up right? Seems a lot of fuel around just for 130's ! ! !

Been thinking along the same lines ,pretty sure the Allen Jeff is running 145s had a bandit with factory pro kit and that ran 160s.

Got hammered up at Clive s,me and the bike ,then a gentle 80 mile ride home . Do you think it's worth altering the pump so it kicks in at half throttle ?ta

• 2 weeks later...

Well a minutes silence for a dead thread , chucked in some new plugs , backed the accelerator thingy off and was just putting the tank on and noticed a hose going to nowhere in-between 3 and 4 . Yup a  open vacuum hose ! Wrong side so you wouldn't expect it . Fuck fuck fuckety fuck , surprised it ran as well as it did , glad it didn't grenade its self 

• Like 5
56 minutes ago, gsx said:

Well a minutes silence for a dead thread , chucked in some new plugs , backed the accelerator thingy off and was just putting the tank on and noticed a hose going to nowhere in-between 3 and 4 . Yup a  open vacuum hose ! Wrong side so you wouldn't expect it . Fuck fuck fuckety fuck , surprised it ran as well as it did , glad it didn't grenade its self 

(y) coolio, some times it's just the simplest thing that get overlooked.