1997 Bandit 1200 electrical problems

I have a 97 Bandit 1200 that is having a no spark problem that is driving me insane

-No spark from both coils

-both coils read around 3 Ohms

- I’ve used 2 signal generators both are 170 Ohm and 166 Ohms 

- I’ve by passed the safety side stand switch and clutch switch

- Checked all wiring, and grounds 

- I’ve tried 2 different CDI units, still nothing.

- New spark plugs

- New battery

- All fuses are good 

- New starter solenoid 

Out of ideas, and help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for helping out with this problem, it's been driving me nuts for the past year, I feel like I've checked everything, and I finally broke down and had to ask for help. 

Yes I'm getting 12v at both the coils, also just checked the 3 circuits on the ignition key switch, all good there, and still no spark at either coil. 

"Are you getting a pulse from the ATU on the crank? " is that checking for voltage from the crank position sensor? 

10 hours ago, Central_Coast said:

Thanks for helping out with this problem, it's been driving me nuts for the past year, I feel like I've checked everything, and I finally broke down and had to ask for help. 

Yes I'm getting 12v at both the coils, also just checked the 3 circuits on the ignition key switch, all good there, and still no spark at either coil. 

"Are you getting a pulse from the ATU on the crank? " is that checking for voltage from the crank position sensor? 

Get a side light bulb (in the holder) connect it to the wires from the ATU back plate and turn the engine over by the starter button, if it's working the bulb will flicker as you turn the engine over.

• Like 3

Well still no spark, tested both CDI's again, I don't know if both are working correctly one is from Eblag and the other is the original that came with the bike that ran 6 years ago. 

I just double checked the continuity on everything that I could think of, from the coils to the ignition key switch, no issues there. Also unwrapped half the harness didn't see any issues.   

Any chance on a short in the alternator? 

Maybe both CDI's are bad?? Not sure how to check if they are working correctly. 

Also on the wiring diagram there is a 4 prong connector for the neutral switch a blue, Red/Black, Green/Blue, Black/white I cant seem to locate that connector and the Red/Black, Green/Blue from the CDI just ends???

I'm out of ideas, other than replacing harness and getting another CDI

So it turns over fine, but no spark? The bandits had an anti-theft device with a resistor on one of the circuits in the ignition that the CDI looks for. That will prevent spark.

Alternator doesn't even need to be hooked up, these bikes will run just fine with total loss until the battery dies.

Only minimal voltage should be coming from the signal generator, it generates its own power from the engine turning.

The missing connectors could be the kick stand kill switch that needs to be shorted out to bypass, but that would prevent the starter from working.

Where are you on the central coast? I'm originally from that area and know of a shop that has old GSXRs with bandit engines for their personal bikes that I could direct you towards if you get really stuck.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Central_Coast said:

I haven't bypassed the ignition barrel yet, I've only checked to make sure I have continuity on the 3 circuits.

I went back and checked the signal generator for voltage, I get the correct ohms on both on them but with both signal generators I only get 1v or 2v when checking the blue and yellow wire?

Your CDI needs to momentarily see a 100ohm resistance to earth when the CDI sees 12v. This is done through a resistor in the ignition barrel usually. If you have an aftermarket barrel or have bypassed it then the bike will spin over all day and never spark.

So, is it running the standard ignition?

• Like 1

Im in Paso Robles CA. 

Yes it turns over.

I do not have an aftermarket barrel, I just by passed the ignition barrel still no spark, or I have it wired as factory with a factory ignition barrel still no spark. I'll test for resistance, do you know what wire to test for resistance into the CDI? 

Thanks for all the help 

If you can get a 100ohm resistor, wire that inline with the CDI earth to the battery -ve.

Or open up the back of the ign barrel and you'll see the resistor in there. Its possible you have a dry solder joint.

After all the other things you've done this is about the only thing that would cause no spark that I can think of anyway. Theyre pretty simple beasts

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Upshotknothole said:

Too far south, the shops I know are all up in San Jose.

It's most likely the resistor at this point. If you could borrow an old GSXR CDI to test it, that would tell you for sure. They don't care about any of that fancy security stuff.

but that wont tell you if the bandit switch is duff, the b12 cdi wont work with the gsxr ignition switch if it dosent have the correct resistor.

so has this bike run with that specifice igntion siwtch ever??????O.o

1st thing id check is the secondary earth plug for the loom, small spade connector just after main earth connection near the batery, if thats unplugged or badly corroded it wont fire...

2nd is do a volt drop check on the battery, if the battery voltage goes much below 10/11 volts when cranking then the cdi wont spark anyway, had this a couople of times with b12's with batteries that wont hold a full charge, they look fine static at 13 or more volts, but when truning the motor over it drops right down..