Tips on what to look out for on an 1127 rebuilt engine

DaveWhisper

Hiya

i’m going to be looking at a bike that has a rebuilt 1127 gsxr lump in it. It’s a gorgeous machine and I’ve definitely fallen for it so far.

Apparently it hasn’t been completely run in yet.

Any hints on what I should be looking out for or what questions I should ask specifically with a new rebuild that’s not completed its run in?

My knowledge as far as it is has basically been routine stuff and changing bits when they go wrong to keep my bikes on the road. I’ve never dealt with a total rebuild before but I know there are a few potential pitfalls.

thanks

Dave

Not specific to this bike/engine, but saying it's not been run in yet means nothing. By that i mean it changes nothing. It should sound, run, and operate perfectly. It just means you may need to take it a little easy for a while, but personally I'd just ride it normally.

What I'm getting at is, be wary if the seller makes any excuses for the engine due to it not being run in. And noise and he says 'it's not run it', be wary. Any smoke and he says 'it's not run in', be wary. New rings in fresh bore, and the lube from assembly, will smoke when first run but if it's done a few miles it should be bedding in enough not to smoke.

Reciepts for parts or work done. Without that Id assume the motor probably needs a rebuild. Seen too many people get caught out by the just been rebuilt lie.

Looked at a Mini years ago and the owner was adamant the motor was 100% rebuilt. After a lot of questions he finally admitted that he had "checked over the motor" and replaced the tappet cover gasket.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, rodneya said:

Reciepts for parts or work done. Without that Id assume the motor probably needs a rebuild. Seen too many people get caught out by the just been rebuilt lie.

Looked at a Mini years ago and the owner was adamant the motor was 100% rebuilt. After a lot of questions he finally admitted that he had "checked over the motor" and replaced the tappet cover gasket.

This! I don't even trust hand written receipts anymore. Unless they're printed receipts from a legitimate shop, they don't mean shit.

• Like 2

All points made above are valid, also beware of copious amounts of instant gasket,check for mullered fasteners ,if he can't be bothered to change a butchered bolt  or buy new gaskets what else has he let slip. As an aside back in the time of dinosaurs when us young uns rode two strokes there was a tuner called Terry Beckett, my mate rebuilt his GT250 and said it was bucket tuned cos there were no parts left in the bucket :D......

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, DaveWhisper said:

Thanks everyone for all the tips. You’ve confirmed some things for me and given me some good stuff to look out for. 

im going to have a look at the bike this weekend and I’ll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully I’ll have a new bike in my garage come Monday 

We like photos here, so do post up some if you buy it.

Also check for oil leaks around the two oil return tubes on the front of the cylinder block. If they did a cheap rebuild and skipped replacing the o-rings on them, they will leak and need the head pulled back off.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So here she is.

No engine receipts etc but the engine runs sweet and the guy I bought it from seemed like a  really great guy.

It’s a beautiful bike built with all the right bits and I’m well chuffed with it.

I’m sure it’ll need a few bits done here and there but that’s the nature of the beast.

I’ve already identified a few issues. The forks are really soft so need to look into that. There’s not much steering lock available side to side so wheeling it about is a bit of a pain and the Speedo on the Koso digital clocks fluctuates up and down so I guess that needs setting up.

im sure I’ll be on here a fair bit asking questions from now on. 

IMG_1278.jpeg

IMG_1277.jpeg

• Like 10
22 hours ago, Jonny said:

I have a GPS speedo too. The pickup probably needs moving rather any setting up. Mine is under the tail unit but if it is not in just the right place you get that fluctuation.

Great looking bike BTW!

Thanks, I’ll have a look into that.

it’s a Koso Rx52 gps

rev counter seems fine but the speed goes up and down with the bike sitting still.

Ive found a manual for it online but haven’t had a look yet.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:13 PM, DaveWhisper said:

Thanks, I’ll have a look into that.

it’s a Koso Rx52 gps

rev counter seems fine but the speed goes up and down with the bike sitting still.

Ive found a manual for it online but haven’t had a look yet.

I’d try taping the pick up to the top of the seat, or somewhere where it is not enclosed, and take it up the road. You’ll know then if it’s a location issue with the pick up or not.