Is it necessary to have oil catcher set up on boosted gsxr1100

7 minutes ago, Joseph said:

As it stands i don't get how a catch can will avoid the issues described ?

If what you're calling the catch can is of the "hose stuck in an empty Heineken" type ?

Or are you talking about a built item with some kind of particularity ?

And I don't understand your question or lack of 'understanding the issues' ! All blown engines will suffer ring blow-by which leads to crankcase compression. If this isn't relieved you'll suffer oil leaks and gasket failure from over pressurisation. The std. crankcase ventilation has generally been found to be insufficient so more is added. But if routed like most OEM vents, any excess oily waste will be deposited directly in front of the rear tyre ! ! ! Or if routed through the frame to the rear where it tends to drip on the tyre ! ! ! A Heineken tin is better than nothing as long as you remember to check and empty it - its served many a RWYB'er over the years. But a purpose made vented catch can is better and can route the condensed oil back to the crankcase (if desired) or has more containment volume for a serious puke out! I guess there is nothing stopping anyone running the vent hose to the airfilter pre turbo - and you'd certainly be aware of oil issues if they did occur!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...