Newbie needs advice on brakes upgrade on GS 1000

"Newbie" refers to this being my first day on this forum, not my age (if only!).

A mere 44 years after parting with my beloved '77 GS 550 E, I am about to ride a GS again, this time a '79 GS 1000 E (I know, some guys are deprived of any imagination).

More concerned with my safety and that of others than with authenticity, I would like to improve the stopping power of my ride.

Anybody here have upgraded successfully the brakes on their GS 1000? What works well, and what should be avoided? Tragicallly, the worst mistakes are unlikely to be reported first-hand,  but I will take second-hand advice from those who were witnesses to those lethal errors.  

Thank you for your kind and enlightened advice. 

3 hours ago, Thierry said:

And if not, what model are these Lockheed calibers?

Aftermarket race part, don't think they make them anymore and finding second hand ones is hard to say the least.

Don't know of any plug and play that goes straight on to the GS forks, one of the problems is the GS discs are thicker than more modern discs.

6 hours ago, Dezza said:

Have you serviced your OEM calipers and master cylinder, and then fitted decent modern brake pads and stainless braided hoses? This can make a big difference and is a good starting point.

I actually sent the bike for a comprehensive service and requested stainless braided hoses, but the mechanic said that it was "not necessary"; these days, mechanics have become artists who do as they see fit, not according to the requests of the customers; but is is on my bucket list, just to be performed by another guy.

4 hours ago, Safra said:

Interesting upgrade I've seen was cbr900 rotors and sv650 dl650 dl1000 calipers it would require brackets,spacers and bushings

Thank you Safra; I do not have access to people who would be able or willing to fabricate the brackets, so I am looking for complete kits. 

• 9 months later...

I replaced as planned the rubber lines on the front brakes with stainless steel braided items, and braking became instantly, perfectly acceptable (at least, for my type of riding). I had planned to do it all along, but was suddenly overwhelmed by a sense of urgency when I squeezed the front brake handle while standing next to the bike, and saw the diameter of said rubber lines expand by several mm: they were actually the original, 45 years old items! 

So Dezza (and I) were right, and once I apply the same treatment to the rear brake, stopping the old filly will be a piece of cake.

Thanks to Dezza and everyone else for their good advice; the lists of adaptable calipers and disks will come in handy whenever I decide to give my bike the resto-mod treatment (which I have done to both of my other vehicles from the '70s).

In response to Swiss Toni's request, here is a picture of the GS 1000, after it was spruced up (but not a nut and bolt restoration).

4c22bcc6-a53c-4cde-ad30-17ae6713b55e.jpg

• Like 2