MK2 bandit Speedo sensor

Kimberkatana

Yes you can use the 1200 sensor on aftermarket clocks. It's covered quite well in the instructions & the wiring is simple, at least on the Daytona set I have. The 600 cover sits approx 3mm closer to the cases though so the sensor fouls hard on the nut. You will need to fettle the inside of the cover, maybe reduce the height of the prongs on the nut & space the sensor away from the cover an appropriate amount or space the whole cover away from the crankcase 

Edited by coombehouse
Spolling
  • Like 2

It won't work with Koso clocks but will work with Daytona clocks, the bloke at digital speedos uk told me this.

The problem is attaching the sender thingy to the gearbox output shaft. If it's not pre-drilled (slabby, mk2 blandits are) then it seems a bit hit or miss trying to do this. All i achieved was a pile of blunted and reshaped drill bits so gave up and fitted a Daytona sender but others have had better results.

Oh, and the later teapot covers also fit and accept the same sender gizmo.

14 hours ago, Kimberkatana said:

I'm putting a MK2 1200 bandit engine in a MK1 teapot but am thinking I want modern dash/clocks so already got drilled output shaft , was just thinking I could use Suzuki sensor instead of trying to mount aftermarket one

Should be easy peasy as the output shaft is designed to take the sender unit. If you need a sender to bolt onto the output shaft I have a brand new one I don't need.

Thats a hell of a price for something you can do without.

Just need to cut off the sensor off the Koso thing, and either plug or solder the wires onto the bandit sensor

I have found it much more reliable in response than using the magnets in the disc screw shoddy system

Edited by Joseph

Well thats the thing. Instructions say you're supposed to count the number of magnets/sensor points.

I found that putting 4 (as per the bandit rotor) didn't yield any realistic result.

I put in the tyre circumference, and then taped my phone in GPS mode to the tank and played around with the number of sensor points till it matched the speedo reading.

For my bike 1990 (tyre circumference in mm for a 120 70 17) and 11 sensor points give spot on GPS speed reading. I'm guessing any Koso dash must use the same software, so could be that setting to put in regardless of the model of dash used 

• Like 1
On 12/14/2022 at 12:42 PM, Joseph said:

Well thats the thing. Instructions say you're supposed to count the number of magnets/sensor points.

I found that putting 4 (as per the bandit rotor) didn't yield any realistic result.

I put in the tyre circumference, and then taped my phone in GPS mode to the tank and played around with the number of sensor points till it matched the speedo reading.

For my bike 1990 (tyre circumference in mm for a 120 70 17) and 11 sensor points give spot on GPS speed reading. I'm guessing any Koso dash must use the same software, so could be that setting to put in regardless of the model of dash used 

I like your idea but if we are talking about using the bandit gearbox sensor, the circumference would be related to the rear tyre  not the front? Then you also have to take into consideration the gearing too.

I would think a better starting point would be to measure the distance traveled by a rotating rear tyre for 4 sensor points.

That is unless I've totally misunderstood things.

7 hours ago, coombehouse said:

I like your idea but if we are talking about using the bandit gearbox sensor, the circumference would be related to the rear tyre  not the front? Then you also have to take into consideration the gearing too.

I would think a better starting point would be to measure the distance traveled by a rotating rear tyre for 4 sensor points.

That is unless I've totally misunderstood things.

Dunno mate i'm too stupid to not just follow the instructions

Screenshot_20221216-090934.thumb.png.e9503a040876795a81fd9645ab7ced66.png

When i saw that with 4 sensor points i was reading 250km/h in town, i figured that the factor that was mistaken was the number of points, not the wheel diameter

So just did as above with a GPS on the phone. Took me 3 short runs on the dual carriage way. Put it at 10, dropped one, raised 2 to 11 and it was exactly what the GPS was giving.

Edited by Joseph

When it comes to Koso gauges, the instructions for my unit are the same as above, although I use an RX2N. When using the set up, simply enter the  circumferance of the tyre for the wheel the sensor is on (mm), the number of pulses the sensor receives per wheel rotation and you're good to go. My guess is the guage is set to calculate the number of pulses per km, so this will have to be accounted for when using the output shaft rather than the wheel directly. If the final drive reduction ratio is a nice round 3, then this is quite straightforward, set pulses to 12 instead of 4. Problem here is this is usually something like 2.75-2.9, so the tyre circumferance input needs to be changed by using a bit of maths or trial and error using another method of calibration, such as a GPS gizmo as described above.

For my Daytona guage, setting the speed input is easier when using a sprocket mounted sensor (see pic). The number of pulses per km can be calculated and then fed into the guage directly on setup. E.g. 2m tyre circumferance, 2.9 final drive gear ratio, 4 pulses per rev on gearbox: (1000/2) x 2.9 x 4 = 5800 pulses per km.

Daytona_speed.jpg

Edited by Dezza
14 minutes ago, johnr said:

tell us more. ive never heard this.

Several kawasakis use a front sprocket sensor for the speedo like the mk2 Bandit

Suzuki system fits a small rotor with notches and studs (4), it screws onto the gearbox ouput shaft, which is threaded for the purpose.

Kawasaki use a better system for us people who like adaptations : the nut that holds the sprocket on is a specific shaped one, with 4 faces/edges that act as pickup points for the sensor.

Why people still try to drill their gearbox shafts beats me xD

These nuts are readily available, same thread as Suzuki and if you need depth clearance they can be machined down a tad to suit.

Fitted to :

W650 : 1999-2006

W800 : 2011-2016

ZX10R : 2003-2006

ZX6R : 1998-2003

ZX9R : 1998-2003

Edited by Joseph
  • Like 3
14 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Several kawasakis use a front sprocket sensor for the speedo like the mk2 Bandit

Suzuki system fits a small rotor with notches and studs (4), it screws onto the gearbox ouput shaft, which is threaded for the purpose.

Kawasaki use a better system for us people who like adaptations : the nut that holds the sprocket on is a specific shaped one, with 4 faces/edges that act as pickup points for the sensor.

Why people still try to drill their gearbox shafts beats me xD

These nuts are readily available, same thread as Suzuki and if you need depth clearance they can be machined down a tad to suit.

Fitted to :

W650 : 1999-2006

W800 : 2011-2016

ZX10R : 2003-2006

ZX6R : 1998-2003

ZX9R : 1998-2003

thats brilliant information. ive a gsxr motor in my kat and am looking to fit an electronic speedo but was wondering about the sender. this is why i love this site!

• Like 3