New owner. Some questions.

beardo

So, after a long time in searching, I FINALLY found an oil-cooled 1100 motor-ed Suzuki. Not really the one I wanted, an '03 Bandit, but it I did get it from the original owner, only has 18K miles, and for a relatively low price of $1,200. Other than some bar risers, and a longer up brake hose, bone stock. As in, the mixture screw plugs weren't even pulled out yet....and those were off the bike when I bought it. He even gave me another new muffler and mid-pipe. Anyhow, other than some much needed maintenance (valves were never done??) the bike runs fine. It stops and goes round a bend. It's a bike.

Being that I financially started out cheap, I think I may want to spend some bucks for some more poke. I commute to work, 40 miles the shortest one way, and ride on the weekends.  The bikes needs to be reliable. Won't be going to a track. 

Being that you all have been breathing these machines for so long, I want to know what would a natural progression be, without having to make the missteps. Learn from others before me. I can do all the tech work myself, short of machining.

Thoughts?

Welcome to OSS 

You're going to get (put a turbo on it pretty soon xD)

It all depends on how long you can/want to take the bike off the road?

Easy start, gsxr oil cooled cams go straight in (just need to swap your cam chain wheels over) and then do a valve clearance.

Air box, make the intake hole at the rear much bigger, heard they are restricted there.

Down pipes, link pipe, end can get rid and get some good race system on it, again exhaust is restricted.

Then you're going a bit more into the engine, gsxr/gsxf 750 DOT head bumps the bhp up, bolts straight on but does lift the carbs up a bit. Lots have done this on here.

Then you're also going into removing air box putting dual pod k&n filters on the tuning the carbs or getting some nice trick carbs for it.

Then big bore 1216cc with the standard head and get it ported/gas flowed, this way you can bypass the DOT head ;)

And so on.

Be aware, once you start you will never finish xD

Well, I have plenty of time. I live in the Pittsburgh, Pa region of the US, which means snow in winter, and sometimes a good bit of it, so if there is a point when I have to take the bike off the road, it will be during that time.

This all feels like cramming for a test. Taking in as much information as possible. I didn't realize the interchangability that Suzuki had/has. Even between the light/middle/heavyweight bikes. That's what is impressive to me. Flame me all you want, but I spent ten long, agonizing years in the world of Harley's. Lot's of parts interchange with those bikes, as well.

No turbos. No NOS. But a big bore and porting, I'm not opposed to. I'm also not opposed to carb swaps, exhaust swaps obviously. I just want to avoid buying twice, as in, exhaust, carbs, intake, etc.

It's interesting that the donor aspect is brought up, because I looked for a project, or roller GSXR for a long time. It must be my area, or the fact that I refuse to sign up to that Facebook, that limits me.

• Like 1

Stick around and have a good look through the project section and your eyes will be opened.

But one thing, we only name Suzuki's on here, any other bikes are NOT aloud to speak about xD;) 

As to your up grades you can also put the gsxr750 38mm carbs on, you will need the rubbers inlets as well but if you don't want to spend $$$$ on new carbs they work very well and gives you a real good boost.

You will also see there is quite a lot of your countrymen on here, and I think there was something in the events section for a U.S meet up.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, wraith said:

Welcome to OSS 

You're going to get (put a turbo on it pretty soon xD)

It all depends on how long you can/want to take the bike off the road?

Easy start, gsxr oil cooled cams go straight in (just need to swap your cam chain wheels over) and then do a valve clearance.

Air box, make the intake hole at the rear much bigger, heard they are restricted there.

Down pipes, link pipe, end can get rid and get some good race system on it, again exhaust is restricted.

Then you're going a bit more into the engine, gsxr/gsxf 750 DOT head bumps the bhp up, bolts straight on but does lift the carbs up a bit. Lots have done this on here.

Then you're also going into removing air box putting dual pod k&n filters on the tuning the carbs or getting some nice trick carbs for it.

Then big bore 1216cc with the standard head and get it ported/gas flowed, this way you can bypass the DOT head ;)

And so on.

Be aware, once you start you will never finish xD

Bet you wished you’d never asked now!xD

Welcome to OSS!(y)

• Like 3

From what you've said I would go for,

New pipe, full system or a new can and link pipe with a gutted stock collector as a cheaper 2nd option.

Disconnect the ignition regard wire.

Mod the airbox and re-jet with a better filter.

This will just give you more everywhere and keep the midrange.

After that you may want to think about upgrading the suspension while you decide what to do next engine wise.

• Like 1

Don't know anything about this retard wire ?

Just get a full exhaust system, I wouldn't bother with a altered standard end can you will just be wasting your money. Lots of good aftermarket exhaust system out there but all depends on how deep your pockets are.

Was called it the wheelie wire round hear its under the left side panel there's actually 2 wires. I like turbo bikes but to answer your question fit a full race exhaust system big bore high comp pistons stage 3 dynojet kit with pod filters and get the head ported this should give you up to around 150hp. Do the suspension as well it's one of the best upgrades you can do. IMG_20220331_125222.thumb.jpg.bccd6fff62ce3130d51bc3375a5c4084.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Bud, I'm in Virginia, relatively new to the Suzuki game myself.  Holeshot (US, not UK) is a pretty good one stop shop for Bandit tuning parts.  Take a look here https://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/600-1200

A lot of stuff is for sale in FB Marketplace, so it is a shame you aren't on there.  It is running directly over CL.  Eblag, will be okay, but not alot of overlap with the stuff thats locally on FB.  

Otherwise, welcome to OSS, alot of good stuff and no one has yet mentioned the Frankenstein pages in the archives yet...

Brandon

49 minutes ago, Gixer1460 said:

If you click on users name in a thread, the site spits out all their stats and location - just for info!

That's good information. So being that you are in UK, I guess I'll find out this afternoon if the US bikes got that wire set-up also.

I am definitely aware of Dale Walker. A lot of what he offers, seems to be just bolt-on goodies, for otherwise stock bikes, for obvious reasons.

What I wonder is, say if I get his exhaust, would it play nice with a more in-depth set-up down the road, say a big bore and ported head. This would be an example of what I want to avoid. If his parts are only good up to a certain point, then I would want to skip that.

3 hours ago, wraith said:

Don't know anything about this retard wire ?

Just get a full exhaust system, I wouldn't bother with a altered standard end can you will just be wasting your money. Lots of good aftermarket exhaust system out there but all depends on how deep your pockets are.

I must admit I was assuming that they still had the "wheelie wire on the K series. You're right about gutting a standard end can but just to clarify, I was referring to the 4/1 collector on the stock downpipes. There is a lot of baffling in there that can be removed with a simple cut and reweld. This, with a new link pipe and aftermarket can, can be a good halfway house without the expense of a full system.

Then again, if you're pockets aren't deep enough to buy a full system that you will need at some point then I'd quit now before you fall into the bottomless money pit of chasing bhp. :D

• Like 1

Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily out to chase power. I've just never built an inline four before. There's really no reason to. It's just something to do, I suppose. And I'm sure, like many others here, I have other machines at my disposal. This isn't my only bike. It just so happens to be a basically clean, original bike. I guess the last two years have made me restless...

• Like 1