1200 engine help.

Tombola

I done a compression check on my 1200 blandit, WOT I’m getting 110psi ish across all 4 cylinders. Its a W reg and 30k on the clock, Mileage backed up by the mots.

few cc’s of oil picks up compression to 150psi. It’s the cylinders right? Oil like that can’t help the valves seal?

bike wasn’t screaming hot. 

it answers the question why it’s always been a pig, I just want some input in case I’m missing something 

Bike has always been rough cold, spitting back, rough coming on the revs, once warm it’s OK ish.

Carbs have been ultrasonically cleaned by Jim at super bike surgery,

valves clearances done and carbs are balanced.

standard zorst, air filter, and new plugs

thznks

tom

30 minutes ago, wraith said:

Sounds like bores/cylinders but strange for them all to be low and the same across all 4. 

Extended oil changes causes all kinds of wear! If the recommended limit is 124psi, then yes its re-bore time and while your in there it'd be rude not to turbo it to help with the breathing LOL!

• Like 2

Done another compression test, 110 ish psi across all 4 clyinders, 1+4 being around 115psi. Engine was ran up to temperature this time. 

I also borrowed a leakage tester from our garage. I’ve followed the instructions and apparently leakage is low between 25-30% 4 clyinders.

it is a sealey leakage kit so whether it’s any good? 

Never used a leakage tester before.

If the bores or rings are worn, there's 4 things you can do.

1. Cheep way, get another set of barrels and put them on and hope it brings the comp up 

2. Strip the top end, put new rings on the piston's, hone the bores and hope.

3. Combine 1 and 2

4. Big bore

Any of the above you will need to replace head and base gasket and o rings

Sorry and 5. Look for a new engine

45 minutes ago, Tombola said:

Done another compression test, 110 ish psi across all 4 clyinders, 1+4 being around 115psi. Engine was ran up to temperature this time. 

I also borrowed a leakage tester from our garage. I’ve followed the instructions and apparently leakage is low between 25-30% 4 clyinders.

it is a sealey leakage kit so whether it’s any good? 

them figures don't sound good :( i think a top end strip is in order and get the measuring gear out :S and while your at it a valve job too. :tu 

Cylinder 2+4 have this in the both bores. Feels completely smooth, but obviously corrosion. The bike had been stood outside for a while, could also be condensation from not running the bike o.O

Thanks for all your help guys I’ll have to weigh up what to do with it I really didn’t want another project. 

image.jpg

Yes they don't look good, 

If it was me, I'd pop over to the wanted section and see if anyone has a motor they can sell you and sell that one for spair or repair.

In the long run probably the cheapest and quickest way to get the bike up and running again.