Bandit 12 ignition question

Jaydee

The ignition that came in the box of bits to put a mk.1 bandit 1200 together is fubar. Might not even be the ignition that was on the bike so time to get a new one. I remember something about the 12's having a built in resistor as an anti theft feature(?). Is it only on the mk.1 12 or can an ignition from a 600  or mk.2 models do? I know I can chop and solder in a resistor at the cdi but don't really want to go chopping a perfectly good loom, besides I need a new ignition anyway. 

I see plenty of mk.1 600 ignitions on that auction site with sellers listing them as 600/1200 ignitions. Don't want to buy a 600 item if it aint gonna work.:(

600 ignition will work. The rev limiter is higher though so if you do use it with a 1200 you need to be careful of this. I remember reading about the resistor thing I think it only affected late models I believe and was to do with restricting power in bottom gear, I need to check

and as far as I know only the Mk2 Bandit has the resistor and not the Mk1.

Ah I remembered something about the resistor thingy fitted to a 12, but my memory was a little hazy on the stone cold facts. So mk1 6 and 12 bandits are resistor-less ignitions then? Happy daze (I hope!). :)

Edited by Jaydee

I'm not 100% sure. Easy to find out, just try to hot-wire your bike, if it starts then no resistor needed.

Connect the red wire to the orange wire in the green plug.

Haven't got that far in the build yet C.C. Have to put the loom in and get a battery. Just trying to get my way through the parts needed list at the mo.;)

if at the ignition switch plug there is 6 wires then its got a resistor inline for the anti hot wire thing . I have an early bandit 96 (P reg ) and it's got the resistor .

Cheers mate. Was almost sure the early bandits had the resistor (from what I read on the old site years back). Just going see if I can get a complete lockset for mine at the right price to be on the safe side. No point in buying twice. :)

• 2 years later...

Search further down the forum, I'm using a MK2 bandit loom with a chinky ignition switch.

Benslabby stuck a working diagram up for me, I unpinned the plug into the cdi and soldered a 100ohm resistor onto the side of the plug and grounded that to the battery and left the loom intact

Edited by davecara