GSX1100EG?

Jinxy

Thanks guys, first thing I did was turn to google and it had nothing as concise as the info from captain chaos or you. At least now I know what I'll be going to see. I guess the next silly question is, is there anything in particular to look out for on these. Please excuse the complete lack of knowledge, I've been playing with oil cooled GSXR 11's for the last 16 years and while I've loved the looks of the these big bruisers they were never really on my radar before.

Dodgy electrics aren't an issue, quite used to replacing 20+ yr old wiring and components. So just check the frame for corrosion and cracked subframes? Though I guess being a steel frame they're easy enough to get repaired?

Thanks again guys, this site and it's members are an absolute godsend when it comes to stuff like this.

Watch out for vultures ;)

If it's completely standard fork tubes are likely to be worn, give it a good bounce to see what the rear shock's like.... otherwise, as the guys say - electrics and have a good old poke about around the sidestand. Make sure you don't get swindled on the headlight - standard ones fetch good money and are often swapped out or sold separately.

Also depends how much you are looking to spend. A rough standard bike on the road is always going to be worth a grand now. EFE engines will never go out of fashion as long as there is air and petrol.

• Like 1

Apparently it's standard, runs and rides but it's a hound cosmetically....though that said it's nowhere near a grand either. So guess come the weekend I'll be picking up my winter ride and it can be taken apart and worked on once spring arrives and the GSXR comes out of hibernation :).

• Like 1

So when is an 1100EG not an 1100EG? Went to see this bike today expecting a scruffy as described bike, nope. It's an 1100 alright, but it's a 1982 X plated 1100 EZ (I think). Rear ends been cut down/shortened, has a god awful seat on it that fits where it touches, brakes are shot, suspension ditto, engine runs but has a nice case of the furrys.....and yet I'm still kinda tempted.

Edited by Jinxy

So when is an 1100EG not an 1100EG? Went to see this bike today expecting a scruffy as described bike, nope. It's an 1100 alright, but it's a 1982 X plated 1100 EZ (I think). Rear ends been cut down/shortened, has a god awful seat on it that fits where it touches, brakes are shot, suspension ditto, engine runs but has a nice case of the furrys.....and yet I'm still kinda tempted.

Never seen a GSX1100 I wouldn't buy,  its only a question of the price! 

• Like 1

Well so much for buying a cheap winter ride, what I've done is bought yet another fucking project.....yep, I bought it. Picking it up next week. The more I looked at he bloody thing the more potential I could see, gods help me. And for those that asked for pics there's one above, got a few more but need to resize them before I can post them. 

It's an American import 1982 1100 EZ first registered here in '92, comes complete with the wrong clocks and light, a Yamaha front brake master cylinder (not that that matters coz it's goosed and going straight in the bin). Needs a lot of tlc.....starting with removing the crap graphics and those bloody awful footpegs.