Slabbie frame

Swiss Toni

If you want it clean, I recommend Thinners or Brake cleaner, which is cheaper than petrol, just. Will shift just about any road grime with a little assistance from a brush. Nip down to your local local car parts muppets and ask them for some, then explain when they turn up with an aerosol can, that you want a gallon, in a tin can.

I'm looking at a 93 frame here on my living room table and it's been powder coated from Hamamatsu. Too many interfaces between, cast, extruded and welded not to be. If you want to refinish to original spec, it's an easy job for any powder coaters, they do aloominum-innit on car wheels all day long. You'd be hard pressed not to get something that looks right, but be aware that they will blast fook out of it, so any threaded areas, mounting points etc will probably get overlooked.  I can also guarantee that even if you mask off areas like headrace bearings and swing arm locating threads, they will fuck up.

I'd go to somebody with some experience of bike frames, I'd insist on vapour blasting as a maximum attack, you'll probably find that they want to use grit or sand to get a good 'key' for the paint process. This is largely correct, if you want a good finish, they need a decent key, but vapour blasting which carries so much of the aggressive blast media away from the job is just as effective, but requires that bit more patience. You pays your money.

If you want to be delicate and have a frame that corrodes for fun and requires constant wiping over in lavish Banofee style adoration, get it Soda blasted. You'll end up with raw aluminium on show, which will start to oxidise at the drop of a hat. The finish is beautiful, like brushed velvet, but it'll start growing fur in a couple of weeks if it's neglected. Great for engines though as you don't end up with grit in all of the moving surfaces.

Don't ask me how I know this shit, let's just say that I've been through it all in the last 12 months.

• Like 1

Originally they are anodizes, and very good too. I've seen Slingshot frames in a worse state then Slabbies after having pretty much the same use through the years. 

Mine had been left outside for at least 5 years, year round, been on fire and attacked with spraycans in a former life. 

I took it to a friend who cleans up lorries. Told him to use the stuff they use on the polished dieseltanks and an hour later, he turned up with a frame that truly could've been mistaken for new. 

559055_10200559549658914_538083167_n.jpg

Note that this frame was looking VERY sorry for itself before we cleaned it up and it wasn't touched by anything but water. Looks pretty much the same today so well happy with whatever the stuff was that was in the pressurewasher :)

I accidently oversprayed some pink bike cleaning fluid like muc off onto Slabby Racer 1 frame.  When I realised a few minutes later there were "runs" in the frame and it was like new so I did all the frame with it.  It makes your hands feel slightly soapy so I assume it is an alkaline solution.  Same feeling as when the neighbour coated my car in the stuff they use to clean lorries (took the tre sap clean off).  I got my stuff in the local pound shop.