'91 1100 cams in a GSX750F?

scott-s

Since the old school '86-90 GSXR cams seem so hard to find these days, I've found a set of '91 Katana (Teapot? What the hell am I supposed to call this thing?) 1100 cams for pretty cheap. I can get them for $50 o 60 U.S.

It's my understanding that the '91 1100 IN and EX cams are the same as the 88-89 GSXR 750 IN cam and 1988 GSXR 750 EX cam. It looks like the 1100 cams would give me an extra ~1.2mm of lift on both the IN and EX. Nor sure about the duration.

I will be running stock Teapot head and valves, compression ratio, etc. I have the stock 750 header and a Yoshimura pipe/muffler. I have the BST-36 carbs, a DynoJet stage 3 kit, RamAir filters over stock rubber velocity stacks. I also plan on slotting the timing plate to advance the timing.

Are the '91 1100 cams the ones I want for a '00 Teapot 750? Is it worth my time and ~$60 to do it, with the above mods? I've read that tuning the carbs will be easier with the hotter cams.

Edited by scott-s
Cause I dont understand proper slang names and dont want to violate rule #5

Well, that's why I always try to refer to my 2000 as either a Teapot or GSX750F.

Was the '91 1100 uh, whatever it's called, referred to as something else? Should I refer to it as a teapot, too?

Sorry, I'm a Yank and I just don't know all the proper English slang terms.

Anyway, I edited the title and post. But....what about those cams?

Edited by scott-s

They're from a '91 1100, commonly referred to by the "K" word over here in the states.

It's my understanding that they're basically the same names that were in the early GSXR 750, and those cams are the "hotter" cams for the Teapot 750.

Just hoping for some clarification.  I can install and time them myself, so if they're worth doing for ~$60, I'd give them a try.

What ever cams you use check the thrust faces are the same. When I converted my M head to screw and lock nut I had to get head welded then I re machined.

Also check lift so coil bind of the springs and make they don't bottom out on the guide.

This really not answered your question really but hopefully tells you what to check.

The 1100 cans got sold but I may have found some GSXR750 cams.

So, back to the meat of the question: if the price is right is it worth doing?

I've heard that it can actually make tuning the carbs with RamAir filters easier.  Something about the lazy Teapot cams and pods not playing well together but the lumpier GSXR cams giving a better "signal " or something?