Turbocharger choice

On 1/21/2019 at 1:33 AM, clivegto said:

Why do you say that Rob ?

Bought a rebuilt one (IHI VF23) today with p20 exhaust housing but a slightly bigger compressor wheel giving it 20 to 30% more power, new ceramic bearings & new wheels. Hopefully it will be good.

On my quest for another turbo I came across this.

I'm also looking into a VF23.

Can you tell me if the VF23 is bigger than the TD04? Dimension wise?

I'm not really looking for a turbo with more output, but the plain bearing turbo's keep stuffing up for some reason, the ball bearing I had previously (VF20) stayed alright, no clue what goes wrong, seems to get plenty of oil..

Thanks

Edited by Reinhoud
4 hours ago, Reinhoud said:

On my quest for another turbo I came across this.

I'm also looking into a VF23.

Can you tell me if the VF23 is bigger than the TD04? Dimension wise?

I'm not really looking for a turbo with more output, but the plain bearing turbo's keep stuffing up for some reason, the ball bearing I had previously (VF20) stayed alright, no clue what goes wrong, seems to get plenty of oil..

Thanks

The Vf23 is a little bit bigger than the tdo4l but not much :tuIMG_20231223_154337.thumb.jpg.2fcccaa47707b7012fe5508e0ced7a18.jpg IMG_20231223_154252.thumb.jpg.d4c9696b974fea13c688a84bf059d891.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2019 at 1:33 AM, clivegto said:

Why do you say that Rob ?

Bought a rebuilt one (IHI VF23) today with p20 exhaust housing but a slightly bigger compressor wheel giving it 20 to 30% more power, new ceramic bearings & new wheels. Hopefully it will be good.

I've ot the VF23 on my bike now, had a TD04 before.

Haven't riden it a lot, have to instal the bleedvalve aain. I thought the VF23 made about 19/20 psi standard, but mine only made 10.

Does your VF23 also spools up quite a bit slower then the TD04?

21 hours ago, clivegto said:

No even though it's a bigger turbo it spines up quicker. They have ceramic ball bearings enabling them to spin up faster 500 to 1000 rpm I would say. 

Thanks.

I thought it would spool up about the same..

I'll have some investigation to do then.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Joseph said:

Sounds like a decent turbo then xD

I'm considering one for the 1400

Do highly recommend. Makes hilarious power and power delivery...My own fault it blew as think I ran it a bit low on fuel and it went lean...judging by the scored bores...

• Like 2