Turbocharger choice

On 12/15/2018 at 6:42 PM, clivegto said:

Am running a tdo4l turbocharger of a suberu variety which makes 260hp on a 1216 b12 based engin. Question is what would be the best turbocharger to fit to say reach over 300hp, as the tdo4l is at its just about at its max, recommendations pleas.

How much boost for 260hp? Which cams? Witch TD04L?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a chinese (cxracing) td05-20g with 7cm turbine (Mitsubishi evo1-3 flange) with ported wg port to help and fit an external wg, slightly ported head and 11f intake cam, dot 750f ex.

As soon as I solve the problem I have with the enrichment I'm going to dyno.

It's much more progressive than the Volvo Td04-16G I had before and It spools nearly 1000rpm higher, but it's easier to drive.

Some days ago I wrote to kinugawa to ask them to "compose" me a turbocharger that basically Is a TD05H-25g with 8mm bigger cnc impeller, 9 blades instead of 12 7cm turbine, and a reinforced core. 

I"ll keep posting about It

Edited by Goo'Roo
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, colinworth79 said:

Think your going to struggle to get a td05 in the space. Might be wrong. I would get a td04-19t and use a volvo 7 exhaust housing with the 3inch outlet. Pic of a td05 next to a Td04. 

DSC_0227.JPG

I don't really have room problems because the bike Is a gsx1100f.

I have a kinugawa td04-20t with 11 blades turbine and 7cm Volvo housing, I'm going to use it on a 11W frame with a sacs engine for a customer. 

I'll have the possibility to compare the two solutions.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Gixer1460 said:

Is that the variable vane type? Good idea in a car but overly complicated for a bike IMO

Nope not variable vane.

Ive got a vf23 on mine, great turbo for road/track use, ball bearing  jobbie, spools really quick, makes loads of torrque and good power.

200ft lbs by 6k, and stays consistent to limiter, 

280bhp at 15psi

Way more than a td04. Only problems are finding one, and they arent really rebuildable

22 minutes ago, MeanBean49 said:

Only problems are finding one, and they arent really rebuildable

Why do you say that Rob ?

Bought a rebuilt one (IHI VF23) today with p20 exhaust housing but a slightly bigger compressor wheel giving it 20 to 30% more power, new ceramic bearings & new wheels. Hopefully it will be good.

Edited by clivegto
  • Like 1

Can't rebuild them easily because you can't get replacement bearings easily. Last time i looked there was only a place in Australia offering rebuilds and it wasnt cheap, might be other places doing it now.

Also not many about because they were only ever fitted to 22B imprezzas as far as im aware and they didnt make many of them.

Edited by MeanBean49
27 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Why do you say that Rob ?

Bought a rebuilt one (IHI VF23) today with p20 exhaust housing but a slightly bigger compressor wheel giving it 20 to 30% more power, new ceramic bearings & new wheels. Hopefully it will be good.

P20 housing is standard. If it has bigger compressor its probably been upgraded to a VF22 which aparently dont spool up quickly. Good info here.

https://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine-modifications/134280074-information-about-all-vf-turbos.html#/topics/134280074

Edited by MeanBean49
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, clivegto said:

Rob at fast line turbo's built me this it's a hybrid IHI VF23 p18 exhaust housing ball bearing core with a 46mm compressor wheel. Rob says it will spin up faster than a VF23 & make more power(350hp), very helpful man he was.

20190128_135255.jpg

20190128_135242.jpg

So its a smaller exhaust housing than a standard vf23?

It should spool up a bit quicker but i really doubt its going to make more power. Standard VF23 is good for 350bhp already.

What he has actually done is built you a vf24.

Be interesting to see what its like, personally i think the exhaust housing will be too small, its the limiting factor on mine already without being smaller

Edited by MeanBean49
50 minutes ago, clivegto said:

Compressor wheel is 10% bigger than standard VF23. Am tempted to try it on my Scratcher but it is for my Harris build. Could always change the exhaust housing if not happy but it is going to be better than the td04l I have & like. You will have to have a go on the Scratcher @MeanBean49to see how it compairs to your Spondon.

I would try it on the scratcher.

Definately be better than the TD04.

I found with mine its limited by the exhaust housing, its a bit too small to make huge power at higher rpm, too much back pressure.

Have to have a bike swap at cadwell, suzuki track day is on again

• Like 1