GSX 1100 EX Misfire

Hi All

I have checked the coil as detailed in the manual. It seems that the coil feeding 2 & 3 is breaking down. There primary is reading 4ish but no reading when multi-meter connected to both plug caps. The other coil reads 4ish and 35ish between the plug caps.

The misfire is consistent but there appears to be a weak spark at the plugs (earthed plug on head) is this enough to cause horrendous misfire?

What does anyone think about replacement? E-bay standard, cheap Chinese or Dyna with Taylor leads?

Any help appreciated

Any coil with the same ratings will do also check you plug caps aswell and double check there isn't water lying around plug/ head , also change plugs around new ones can be faulty ( not common though ) 

once you have the problem eliminated totally it should be now though givin the coils resistance issues if money alows go for a named brand Chinese should be fine but you never know Suzuki are too dear for what They are 

Long ago my GS1000 had the same problem. Runs fine for a bit, then no.1 started missing, quickly followed by no.4 and then it wouldn't run at all.

Removed tank, check/clean carbs, repeat to infinity. Replaced all the ignition bits (incl. points) but it didn't help.

Turned out the vacuum pipe to the fuel tap was leaking. After installing the tank I primed the carbs, then put the tap on "on" and it got out of fuel after a while. First cil. 1 was misfiring because of the air leak. Then no. 4 was misfiring because that was the first carb to run out of fuel on the sidestand.

Edited by captain chaos
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I have checked the coil as detailed in the manual. It seems that the coil feeding 2 & 3 is breaking down. There primary is reading 4ish but no reading when multi-meter connected to both plug caps. The other coil reads 4ish and 35ish between the plug caps.

The misfire is consistent but there appears to be a weak spark at the plugs (earthed plug on head) is this enough to cause horrendous misfire?

What does anyone think about replacement? E-bay standard, cheap Chinese or Dyna with Taylor leads?

Any help appreciated

Kawasaki coils work well on a GSX motor and are cheap and easy to obtain. I use some from a ZZR1100 (same as on many Kwaks) and they have the same spec as stock GSX. However, they have the added bonus of threaded retainers for the leads.

• 3 weeks later...