Wheels!?

E T

I'm about reagy to start rebuilding my et, I was planing on using b@ndit forks cos there a bit beefier and I can fit better brakes but still not made up my mind to go with modern 17 inch wheels or stick with standard sizes ( CMA's). I was happy enough with the way it handled before, it wasn't perfect but better than eny other map bike I'd ridden of that era. I know I'll have a better choice of tyres but lose ground clearance. So what I'm asking .... is it worth  the hassle ?

i can't tell you if it is worth doing, as my gsx1100 project is not on the road yet, but I can tell you that it's an easy conversion.

the bandit swing arm went in with just two top hat spacers made up, as the swing arm is slightly narrower and the spindle is smaller on the gsx.

front end was a real surprise, even the bearings were the same size, mine runs 1200 bandit forks with an RF900 bottom yoke and a 1200 bandit top yoke, just needed a small spacer on the top yoke, as the RF900 stem has about 12mm turned down at the end compared to the bandit one. I'm just about to create lock stops, but the idea for that came from an American website and seems simple to do.

im sure there are lots of others on the forum who will be able to advise you, however I can tell you it looks great on nice wide bandit wheels.

• Like 1

As far as tyrechoice goes; yes, the Bandit wheels will give you better choice, BUT, with classicracing getting ever more popular, proper rubber for the older wheels is and will continue to be easier to get. 

Personally, I love a proper build with bigger wheels, it makes that much of a difference to stand out in the crowd. 

Pics to prove my point; Jelly's bike

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

It's up to you what you like. Have a good look around the site/net and you will find pics of both types. As you say with gsxr/bandit wheels etc you get better brakes etc. Until you're pushing the bike you won't notice any better response with later forks over standards - imho.
In some ways the wider the rear wheel the slower it will dip into the bends, but when you're in the bend it feels more stable than it does with a standard size wheel.

ok, how about a bit of a compromise, the katana 400 has the same style snowflake pattern wheels as the rest of the gs and gsx range, but the little import 400 kat has a wider 18 inch front that you can get wider tyres for than the old 19s, and the rear 17 inch is wide enough to take a 160 or perhaps larger, but they still look like the stock snowflake pattern ones.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

ok, how about a bit of a compromise, the katana 400 has the same style snowflake pattern wheels as the rest of the gs and gsx range, but the little import 400 kat has a wider 18 inch front that you can get wider tyres for than the old 19s, and the rear 17 inch is wide enough to take a 160 or perhaps larger, but they still look like the stock snowflake pattern ones.

Has the 400 a smaller cush drive on the rear? ZXR400's have and seems to be a concern in my books. Or me thinking too much? :) While im here anyone with 88 GSXR1100 wheels and stuff?  I know how hard they are to get but thought ill ask. thanks

My ET runs 3.5" and 4.5" 12o / 160 and is stable but handles fine. Tyres are easy to get and the conversion is reversible. 18" just makes tyres a hassle for no real benefit unless you need to conform to race series rules. Ground clearance hasn't been a problem but more confidence means more lean so you may find stand / collector / engine bars scrape when the devil on your shoulder wins..

You will need an offset sprocket (Debben) and 520 chain offers more gearing choices and an easier time with the chain run.

I found that the centre stand gets in the way and was relegated to the garage.

If you want to use the performance and make motorways a bit more bearable rearsets are an option but watch clearance for the brake rod between swinging arm and frame if you change the swing arm. Self contained hanger / pegs such as Bandit type with home-made adaptor plates make it easier to make it comfy but pillion pegs are a bit of a faff. RAASK type make pillions with even smallish feet difficult.

Hope this helps

Glen

• 4 weeks later...

I used a standard GSX750F carrier and spacers. If you have access to GSF / GSX carriers you will probably be able to mix and match a fit.

The position of the rear shock mounts will affect tyre clearance and its a matter of a few mm either way. Some people find they have to shave a few mm off the carrier. The offset of the sprocket can vary by manufacturer. I used a Debben sprocket (3/8th offset) but you get AFAM or even custom make your own to suit.