Oil level? in EFE with oil cooler bottom hose connection

Love this.... in the air-cool section... how do you check oil level when the oil drains when stopped?

Any hints? Common sense says check when stopped quickly before it drains.?

Kat with 1230 and bottom mounted hoses on the oil cooler.... long term is to fit new hoses.

20180422173100.jpg

As far as I know oil level should be checked when completely drained. Of course if you have some huge oil cooler it may affect to result a bit. But I really doubt it will make any significant difference. It isn't that exact science after all... In my opinion bigger challenge is to make sure that bike is in level on both directions as that affects to result really quickly.

Nice Kat btw :tu

Makes no difference, cooler and hoses don't drain of oil when the engine stops, so just check the level with the engine stopped. If you've drained the system then fill to the correct level, then run the engine to prime all the pipework before checking the level and topping up if needed.

They do drainback through the pump if left to sit. I out closer to 4l of oil in mine to allow for the extra oil cooler capacity, although I suspect a nose down stance has a bigger effect on getting it to register on the sight window.

Reality is, I could get away with 2l of oil in mine with the modified pickup setup. I might just go back to the stock volume and see if it helps with the breather.

Edited by Gammaboy

The volume of oil held in oil coolers and associated pipework isn't that great.  Doubt what I say?  If you have a spare cooler fill it with water and the empty into a container. You will be suprised how little liquid they hold.

Martin

Edited by gsxkat