Rpm shift point?

Portaz13

Hi all again,  

I've run the old girl (1990 750) for about 500kms now.  I've been trying to squeeze a few high rpm runs in and noticed it really doesn't want to rev over an indicated 10500 rpm.  Above that it start to sound unclean as in not smooth. I note the Dyna 2000 is set on 14000rpm but it really screaming at 10 and I have too much mechanical sympathy to push it more than that. Assuming the tach is correct is there another setting on my flat slides I should be looking at?  

Hi Portaz - the standard tacho  is as accurate as an MP's promises at election time ! - they over read badly as the revs increase (eg. over 12000 at close to 11k).  If the previous owner has set the rev limiter at a true 14k revs, then hopefully the top-end isn't damaged - I think the 1990 and 1991 750 had 12.5 or 13k rev limits. The power tails off before that anyway, so it's pointless rev too much beyond peak.  If the bike is new to you, give it a good service - oil/filter, plugs, valve clearances, carb balance - then hopefully your top-end running probs can be sorted with a main jet swap. A 750L should rev good and true from an indicated 9 - 12k + revs. Giving it a good service will give a good base to work from- good luck !

I've been struggling with carb settings as in long previous thread,  I'm thinking I will lower rev limit and go through carbs one more time. Its not really a huge issue as I'm not usually that high up in revs.  On occasion it's stalling at idle . Thanks for reply guys I Minda felt 10 is a good place to change anyway well indicated 10 god only knows what it actually is lol 

So pulled the carbs and went through them.  Went for a run after a warm up period reved to 12, as the run continued with white a few high rpm /speed runs the revs stated to break down again at 10500 and then under 10000, still pulls bloody hard and I spoke to the dyno guy who is happy to run It to see what's going on.  I'm leaning towards spark,  I also lowered rev limit to 12500, is it possible spark plugs could cause this as it heats up?