Project; Whizzy Pop Slingshot

Today was dyno day!

Xd2ibIw.jpg

Good few hours really with good progress.

Nothing really fell off and its running much better.

Dan sorted its hanging at 3k rpm on closed throttle with some throttle adjustments and fuel map changes and it sounds better on idle for it too.

Peak power was 194bhp which is about the same as last time but its a much smoother delivery now and its jerking and spluttering has stopped.

Seems a little low but there's injection and ignition timing to play with so that will probably come up with more dyno time.

Plus intake temps are pretty high, not sure how to get over that for the best but its been an ongoing problem so I need to come up with something.

The cush hub has started touching the swing arm though so I need to look into that and see whats going on, it was close before so something has moved.

7 hours ago, Danm54 said:

11.5psi boost so still room for a few more psi if I want.

IAT peaked around 100c after some wot runs so think I need to do something.

Well, theoretical air temp rise in compressor at  that boost would be around 70C so 100C sounds pretty much what I would expect. Indeed, it's relatively high temp but not necessarily anything critical. Just nature of the beast (boosted engine without charge cooling).

In practice blow through setups seem to result a bit lower temps. Apparently all the boost piping have some intercooling effect. Your setup is less favorable in this sense since the intake manifold is short and tucked between head and turbo.

Water injection could be a good idea especially if you are planning to up the boost.

2 hours ago, Leblowski said:

Why the heatcloth between engine and turbo piping ?

Al you can do is waterinjection and maybe up the cooling using a bigger radiator ?

Its wrapped around the turbo as well to try and keep some heat off the plenum etc.

29 minutes ago, Arttu said:

Well, theoretical air temp rise in compressor at  that boost would be around 70C so 100C sounds pretty much what I would expect. Indeed, it's relatively high temp but not necessarily anything critical. Just nature of the beast (boosted engine without charge cooling).

In practice blow through setups seem to result a bit lower temps. Apparently all the boost piping have some intercooling effect. Your setup is less favorable in this sense since the intake manifold is short and tucked between head and turbo.

Water injection could be a good idea especially if you are planning to up the boost.

Maybe its not so bad then, just seems a really high temp to be putting in. 

Not planning on upping the boost yet but I have made provisions for water injection, went off the idea a bit but maybe its worth a try to see what difference it makes.

1 hour ago, Gixer1460 said:

Thought you said HOT! Its only 70 odd degrees over ambient - try over 160 over ambient with 2 bar boost and an intercooler - thats HOT!

Haha, I'm a plumber so as soon as things get to 100c somethings going wrong!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Few more alterations before its MOT, moved the oil cooler to the proper place, its a bit tight to the wheel so may need a little move back.

20170812_183053.jpg

Also added a temporary expansion tank untill I get time to make a smaller one.

Series 3 Range Rover I think...

Will also make a catch can for the breathers to fit inder the seat as well.

20170812_183101.jpg

Hope to get some miles on it then

Nice few miles to the mot place, rides much nicer than before.

Been tuning the cold start the last couple of days and its close, was a little cooler this morning so needed a touch of throttle untill it got to 30 degrees.

Will see how it starts after the mot, a kind of warm start...

Will take the main roads back and open it up a little.

Still tweaking the cold starts, seems to need very little extra fuel. Starting reliably from a good range of temps as well.

Seems to handle nicely too, feels well planted on the quicker bends and is just about ridable around a pub car park!

Its also fucking quick, still not got to wot yet, not even close....

• Like 3

Managed about 250 miles over the weekend. Took it in the van up to Keswick where I met a couple of mates and rode with them up to Moffat leaving the gf to drive the van up.

Had a good 150 mile ride out on Saturday as well, both rides had mostly rain and hardly any dry roads so it was a good shakedown weekend.

Found a problem before we even set off from Keswick, with the lights on and idling the alternator doesn't produce enough power and drains the battery!

Also the same when the fan kicks in, battery voltage drops to 11.9v on idle.

Its fine once revs pick up but I could do with more power at low rpm.

Only other problem was the little rubber cup over the oil pressure switch, filled with water and shorted out the switch. Killed the bike as soon as I seen it and only took 30 seconds to find the problem but it had me worried while I coasted to a stop.

Got 120 miles to 17 litres of fuel so its a bit thirsty.

3 minutes ago, wombat258 said:

I had the same problem with the alternator, and eventually the regulator failed. I upgraded to the Triumph 40 amp alternator (a lot of work), and have had no problems since then.

I remember reading about an upgrade actually, how much work is a lot?